Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Swap Peugeot 205 Diesel for R4

Greetings to all.

Having worked my way extensively through Citroen's back catalogue, from Dyane and 2CV to GS and BX all the way to XM, I have of late found myself in charge of a 205D. It's a nice little car, but I have decided that my next project is to convert something to LPG, which will of course rather necessitate a vehicle which is both petrol and water cooled. I have long hankered over the R4, and I feel now may be the time to scratch that particular itch, so if anyone feels the need to trade to something a tad more modern, I may well be your man.

The 205 in question is a 1991 GRD model (5 doors), 125 000 miles, and in good order. Lots of MOT and in my hands gets about 55mpg.

If anyone fancies some sort of exchange, don't heaitate to give me a shout...

Cheers,
Jonathan.

My daily car at the moment is a Legacy run on LPG (my second). It certainly gives you a good feeling filling up at 75.9p per litre when everyone else is on unleaded or diesel at almost twice the price, but I am not sure that the overall economics of installing it into a small engined and inherently economical car would stack up, taking into account the cost of the installation itself. The issue of where to locate the tank without compromising load carrying ability, also needs careful thought.
However, good luck with it. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

More details please?, I've been thinking of LPG conversion for a while. I believe the French post office vans were converted?.
Alan.

I converted my r4 just a few weeks ago, fuel consuption raised from 15 km/l to 13 km/l, but the price of the lpg is almost half than the unleaded one.
The lpg tank is placed under the car, instead of the spare wheel, that is now free in the car or at home, bringing with me the spray can to repair tires... or, if I do some long trip, I will find a location on the roof track.
Conversion costs about 900 euros, but I paid only 400 because of a government will contribute...
Very low speed now, I was thinking of an engine upgrade but is quite illegal here...

I am fortunate in so far as I am an experienced mechanic, and so will be able to complete the LPG conversion myself, with the assistance of a friend who is experienced with LPG, so the cost of the conversion will be negligible.

Some time ago I planned to convert my Citroen GS to LPG, and researched the matter fairly comprehensively. The problem with the GS was the need to devise an auxilary hot water system to stop the vapourisor freezing, and although I had a plan, it was this complexity that led to the project being put on hold; in truth a water-cooled car is a rather better candidate for LPG...

Azazello, have you heard of a device known as a BLOS? The problem with basic LPG conversions is that they are rather primitive, and do not meter particularly according to load. This is why basic LPG conversions tend to be inefficient, with a drop in both economy and performance. The BLOS is a device rather like an SU carb which meters the gas, and gives far better results. A friend has used them in comverting a Citroen BX and CX with excellent results. I am sure that if you were able to source one you would find that your car will run much better. http://www.corrado.com.pl/warsztat/blos/blos_evolution_ml.pdf

I still have one on the shelf which I picked up for my GS project, which I will certainly incorporate if I convert a R4...

Never heard of it... Are they still produced? I found something on the net, but only past advertises... If they work as you say, it's a great invention and I do not understand why they are not default mounted on lpg conversions...
The search continues!

I got mine from a Polish guy in Wigan a couple of years ago;

And you mounted it on your r4?
I am interested in opinions, at this point...
Do I need it to be mounted by an authorized mechanic, a general mechanic or could it be a d-i-y job?
The lpg conversion has to be authorized by MCTC in Italy, it has to pass a testing, if I change it this way do I have to pass another testing?
Or should it be not necessary because of it is mounted on the air income and not affects the lpg line (am I right?)?
Now I have some other questions and proposals for the italian forum...
And for the ebay guy, of course.
Thank you.

Looking at some video on youtube, it seems to be mounted between the air filter and the carburettor, there's not enough space in r4s...
More research needed.

I don't know the regulations in Italy, so don't know whether it would be acceptable to fit this on a DIY basis, and it would necessitate interfering with the LPG supply as this replaces the original mixer.

I have not fitted this to a R4, however I'm sure it would be possible by removing the original air filter and fitting a rubber stepdown unit between the top of the original carburettor and the BLOS, and fitting an alternative air filter to the other end, perhaps of a cone type.

So there a re even some devices to dis-install...
I shall have a talk with the mechanic that installed my lpg kit.
In the meanwhile, I will write something to the ebay seller...

Thank you very much!

Another question: when I change fuel and use gasoline, the blos will still work? Even gasoline will pass through it?

Well, the BLOS unit is simply a superior replacement for your mixer (which as you still have your original air filter is a plate fitted beneath your carburettor) and will allow you to run on petrol just as well as before. It is just a more accurate and efficient means of delivering the gas to your engine, replacing the current rather primitive mixer.

Back