Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Swapping dashboards

RichardIRL

Enthusiast
I am thinking of replacing the newer style post-83 dashboard with the older version

Is this easily done/ practical or is it too complicated and not worth it?

The complicated thing will always be the electrical connections, as you will need to change the instrument cluster and the switches, and none of them are compatible between the two dashboards. You must make them wire by wire on each component.

Richard-How's about you rowing across to Norway..I've got a complete -67 with the dash you need incl.instruments,wires etc.etc. All for the taking + 1 Jamesons -R.

It's best to have a complete doner car for that sort of job. The mountings for the dash and instruments are different and you'd need the structure that forms the cold air vent and holds the instrument panel.

I don't know if the early instrument panel and mounting would get in the way of the later steering column mounting. Would be worth checking that as it would be a pain to change column mountings.

I've modified an early loom to take the later engine and fog lamps etc - it's not too bad a job. Probably easier than starting with the later loom.

Back