Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Tailgate support arm geometry

Wildwoodflower

Hello everyone,
I live in France and have a late model Renault 4TL as my daily driver. It is lovely, it is reliable and I've even driven it to the UK and back at a steady 60mph.
I'm having issues with the spring-loaded tailgate support arm.
A helpful and very strong young man tried to close the tailgate without first nudging the elbow pivot point to 'unlock' it. Well, he didn't try to close the tailgate ... he succeeded. Alas at the cost of a bent and mangled support arm and a big coil spring that flew out of its retainer.
I'm not a mechanical dunce by any means, but putting this savage device back together after removing the arm and blacksmithing it straight again is defeating me.
If anyone can explain the geometry, spring position and tension and the method for putting it back properly - ideally with pictures - I'd be hugely obliged.
Kathy

It should normally fold without having to "help" it, by just pulling the tailgate downwards. If it doesn't, chack that the pivot between the two arms is not sloppy, and also that the tailgate arm has not dug a groove at the spring loaded arm, where they meet each other.
Correct way of refitting it is with tailgate open (held by an assistant or securely propped).

Back