Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

temp gauge

The original temp sender is an on/off switch for the warning light so no good for a gauge.

I once tried replacing it with a senser from an old Datsun wired to an Audi temperature gauge. I concluded that bolting a temperature senser to the block, and mixing senders with gauges were both bad ideas.

For the Renault 4 there are a couple of sensible options - that later water pumps have a tapping for an electrical temperature sensor. That could be plumbed in to a gauge and calibrated with resistors (possibly).

Much easier to use a capilliary temperature gauge that works from a bulb (much like a mercury thermometer). The sensor could sit inside the bottom hose of the radiator.

Hi, I fitted a temp gauge the other week and mounted the sender into one of the spare threaded holes in the R/H side of the head above the oil filter if that is any help.

regrds, Matt

Bonjour Matt! -Yours is also a F4 right? 850 or 1100 ? -as on mine there are no spare holes Anywhere above the oilfilter..but moving to
the front there is one just under the alternator...
This is 12mm deep and Dia.10mm -Would this do? I'm mounting a
VDO temp.gauge but haven't found the actual sender-unit yet..
Which type did you fit? and more impartantly Does it work ok?
Thanx Much in advance/-R.

Mines an F6 not an F4 - a 1.1l.

I think it would be best to fit it as close to the rear of the engine (windscreen end) as possible as this is the hottest part (furthest from water pump/nearest to exhaust etc) as you will no doubt be using the gauge as a saftey feature and would obviously want to know as soon as possible if the car was over heating.

I fitted an AUTO GAUGE temp gauge which came with the sender etc and works fine - around 90 most of the time and sometimes increase to nearly 100 in hot weather under load for long periods of time.

The sender was a different thread to the pre drilled hole at the rear of my engine so I re tapped it and fitted the sender.

Hope this helps.

my mistake-thought your's was a R4 too.
Been checking again and I see about halfway-down the block at
rear LHS there is a drain or bleed-valve-I guess this might be the
best place to install the sender-in direct contact with the coolant??

-I have now located the correct sender so will go for that one.

You present at Loheac 0ct.4-5 ?? -R.

It is an R4 but and R4 F6 van not the older F4 version.

No I can't make it to the Loheac show.

Hope you get your gauge fitted OK:)

Sorry you can't make it to Loheac-maybe next time!
-I will check out if it's poss to fit the sender in the bleed-hole
threads in drainhole is 10mmx1 so should be ok. -R.

I have fitted a sender on a threaded ring I welded to the cylinder head rectangular plate at the rear. Disadvantages are that there is some more work involved and temperature there is actually higher than up front (near the water pump) so it can frighten you... The advantage is that you keep the "too late" red warning light.
You can also put the sender in place of the warning lamp sender. The thread is M18x150, you will not find sensors for all gauge makes though. In the past I had a very hard time finding one for a Veglia gauge, and recently I was told no such sender is made for a VDO gauge.

Thanx much for good advice Matt and angel... If I put it on the rectangular plate I wonder if my 120C.gauge will suffice-and as you say I will probably drive aroud with my heart up my throat keeping
an eye on that gauge..Hmm.
Idea of putting the sender inplace of Too Late-light I like better..Then
I could use the red-light in dash for a 'You Are Here'-light actuated by a sensor in the seat..

will try to locate a sender that's 10x1mm to fit drainplug LHS of block,think VDO has one,only question is how far in through the hole this will end up. -R.

Back