Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Terminal decline?

Sage103

Gordon
Just uncovered a little deep rusting here on the outside flange - I’m going to treat it with rust converter to see it through the summer months but was wondering how bad it is when considering the next MOT in December, and what is involved in replacement - any thoughts please?

IMG_8891.jpeg

Do you mean the suspension mounting bracket? It doesn't look so bad. Wouldn't be a bad idea to brush something oily on there to slow down any deterioration. A normal paint probably won't do you any favours as there are so many seams and bits you can't get to but painting something oil like on every now and again would help. Even engine oil. That protects the bottom of some of my cars.

The bit that has rusted above the suspension mounting bracket is just a bit that sticks out to hold the pipes.

Replacing the bracket is possible. You can buy them. Rear suspension needs to come off and the new brackets need to be aligned exactly as the old ones so some cunning needed to record the position. Though you'll also find hidden rust behind the inner suspension mountings that will need fixing and makes the job bigger.

Hi Sage, I agree with Malcolm, it doesn't look too bad really, and if you start poking it, it could open up a real can of worms. So, as our leader suggested give it a good spray with oil, 50x50 engine oil and cavity wax works well, and take it from there. At least you can use the car and come mot time, well who knows it might get through. Check out my post, fossicking in the garage in projects. I was lucky to lay my hands on a complete assembly, as aligning the new bearing housing to the old arm in the right position is critical and tricky.
Plus the fuel and brake lines can be troublesome too. Good luck.

Thanks for these thoughts - I will do as suggested. I once harboured thoughts of doing a full body off restoration but now I just want it to last as long as my driving licence and to enjoy it.

Where can you buy one if you need too which I might?
Der Franzose etc have them but having just ordered a pair Melun retro passion seemed to be the cheapest. Im referring to the weld on chassis repair section that the subframe bolts onto. They also have bolt on section with rubber bush fitted

Back