Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

The best idea Renault never had

Snoopy1974

Enthusiast
:cool: Hi all,
my brother bought a 1981 GTL few weeks ago. Even it seemed to be in immaculate condition, we recently began to inspect the usual critic areas, at the rear of the chassis for example... As I feared the rear suspension mountings are damaged, but relatively easy to repair, only the steel of the extremities must be changed, we have all cut before welding patches.
But the most irritating thing is when you look inside this area, you can see that it's in very good condition, the black paint is immaculate EXCEPT where there was the polyurethane mouss, the difference is flagrant:
DSCF2976.jpg

DSCF2977.jpg

DSCF2979.jpg

Half of the rust steel is welded on the tubes where the bolts pass:
DSCF2981.jpg

And half of the rust steel is now sticked to this mouss:
DSCF2973.jpg

I really don't understand how Renault engineers were able to have such a stupid idea ??

I agree.
BUT When you have a closer look how the sillboard (?) (the side frame) is "sealed" on it's rear end it becomes clear why they use this crappy foam.
There is just a very thin metal plate patch welded in which hase huge gaps around it.
So without filling the rear frames with foam water would enter the frame.

No good solution, no good engineering!

I welded in a tight metal plate that seals the frame completely to prevent water from entering from the rear end.
Of course I peeled of the foam completely.

David

Scania Vabis did the same thing with their lorry-frames..SEEMED a good idea where they could dampen out a lot of noise in a cheap & cost- effective way-Now as we all know "Wonderremedies" do not often stand the test of time.. -R.

Back