Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Thermoswitch?

John Doe

Enthusiast
It looks like I have a problem with thermoswitch so I'd like to change it but I'm not sure what should I look for. At what temeperature should the thermoswitch turn on the fan?

It looks like mine is turning on the fan to early. My friend bought switch that operates from 82 to 92 degrees C. I think I'll buy one too because 96 degrees looks way to much.

Thanks a lot!

Well this is what I bought and installed. It operates from 95 to 86 degrees C. The old one had 82/68 written on it.

p70800016uq.jpg

The price was 7.5 euros ;)

Fan still spinning

I changed thermoswitch but , when engine heats, fan begin to spin continously...then which would be a reasonable time for fan to stops, when driving for example in streets with considereble traffic?..

thanx

If it's coming on when the engine gets hot it's probably working OK. The fan would be on for most of the time for very slow speed driving in traffic in hot weather. If the fan is on all the time there might be a cooling problem - it should turn off when the engine has been cooled enough, though in a hot climate driving in traffic the fan might be on for most of the time.

Hi there guys! Don't have an answer to the problem-just thought I'd hang on this cool(ing)-thread ,as I've just bought a-84 R4F4 in France with the 800series engine and I want to remove the metalblade fan and install an electrical cooling-fan in front of existing radiator (if poss.) -Or would it be better to go for the more frontal-fixed rad. and install el-fan at rear of it? Will they work both ways (blow/suck) or what? Must also give cred and respect to this fantastic site..GOOD to see there are SO many out there that are enthusiastic or even frantic about the R4.
Happy Holidays to one and all!

I'd guess the fan used in the GTL would work in the opposite direction if the polarity was reversed. Never tried it but electric motors tend to work both ways. If you have a GTL handy for spares the front mounted radiator might be easier - only because Renault have figured out how to avoid the gearchange, and the thermostat is included in the radiator.

HI there Clementine! -I think you probably are right in it's being easier to use the GTL rad and fan where they put it.
Am busy getting my R4F4 ready for Norwegian approval as I
collected it 2 weeks ago from France.
We have "special"rules for pretty much anything that could be fun here-so ofcourse EC-rules don't apply as this is a van...
Thay want me to put in a monkey-cage all the way to the roof
and it's gotta be streeetch-tested 'till it fly out the reardoor-
So I say like Amy Winehouse; No-No-No!!
I need to register it as a 2-seater passenger-car even if it costs some £ 350 more.. Guess that would be the actual cost of the car in some places-but what do you do??:roll:
The car is rustfree 'cept 2 tiny holes on top of rear frame traverse at rear of tank 10 cm in from the inner-
wing.That's IT! Drove it home to Norway and I've never seen so many smiling faces-Don't think it was me so has to be the car right? Can't wait to have it approved so I can spread some fun and joy around this place..
Haven't found a name yet-All R4's HAVE to have one I think. Suggestions from all over are welcomed! -Reidalpine.

Hi reidalpine, would you post a picture of your van? Can't think of a name until we see her.

We too are spreading happiness in sunny Leeds. :cool: Ermintrude was much admired by a group of teenagers yesterday who were fascinated by the gear lever.

Hi there Bluebell! I will post a pic soon as my son returns the camera to it's rightful owner-Me! -You look really good in yellow I must say.
Mine is Creamcoloured.NEVER seen oiltreatment or rustproofing Still is rustfree-Incredible!
-Anyone out there tried those slit or open rubber-boots for
the driveshafts? Are they any good? Have slight problem finding out Which driveshafts are mounted as they changed the types so often.These have boots both on wheel-end and gearbox-end Diameter on shaft itself is 23mm.Seen from front the outer one has 3 bulges then a slope, then 1 bulge on thinnest end.The gearbox-one has 2 bulges on the thich side then a slope to 2 more bulges towards thin end.
My car is a -84 R2106 produced for France(100)Engine is
B1BD7/07 Gearbox is HA 0166 ...Any anoracs out there??
Last query:Where do I get hold of the 2 rubber-blocks holding end of front anti-swaybars? They are only soled WITH the bar itself in the Renault-catalogue..

Good to hear you're spreading sunshine in Leeds.
Oh yes-since my car has a giraffe-hatch..Anyone having a spare giraffe?? They don't grow on trees up here.
Reidalpine.

Back