Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Time warp 16

Ooh that’s lovely. One of our neighbours had one when I was six, made a strong impression on me :)

Friend of mine restored one R16 LITOSTROJ - R16 assembled in Yugoslavia (Slovenia) from parts that came from France. Only few parts were homemade. Batery, alternator.
In same factory that produced R4

It is so pleasant drive in it.

Last edited:
That is a thing of beauty!
The dark colour is awesome and rare. The to is wonderful to drive. So comfortable and flexible, just doesn't have the high rev punch of the ts

Our neighbours the ‘Flower family ‘ Flower being their surname had two of these in succession and kept each for many years. They were always immaculate. One dark Brown and the other light metallic green. Their drive opposite our house dipped downhill quite steeply and I always remember when they drove into the drive and applied the handbrake the back end would raise up like something off Thunderbirds ! Later another friend had one too. Such a shame he isn’t alive to contribute as Eric was a fitter for the Norwich main Renault Dealership. His R16 was smooth to ride in and extraordinarily quiet compared with our cars. In the past he had a Renault 8 Gordini And was known as the ‘blue Streak’

Deja-vu for me... in 1980 (together with a 4 GTL) I had a bright red Renault 16TX, top of the range, five speed (column shift) gearbox, 1647cc. Fabulous, very smooth & comfortable yet quite sprited to drive. Swapped the huge steering wheel for a 13" leather rim (which I still have) no power steering. Problems? Structural rust! one of the front torsion bar covers had been displaced allowing water into the double-skinned floor, so in 1984 changed to a SAAB 900 Turbo and my daily driver is now one of the last new-generation SAAB 9-5.

However, I still have half-shares in a French (Ronnie) and Spanish (Ronaldo) Renault 4s to relive the golden days of motoring without electronics and code-readers. Does anyone want a 13" leather steering wheel complete with a Renault horn push? Must try it on the R4....

Welcome along John!,
As said at top, crawled under enough for my dad as a kid for him, they did like rust, TL’s always had more than TS’s due to the fact the TS was faster, and had more dials ;) ( very important factors to me as a child, If I was going to be the back seat driver!) and the TX was THE one I wanted him to get, Twin headlights, sporty wheels, dials and speed, everything you could ask for in the playground enviroment of ‘ but my dads car...’
I’d personally try the wheel on what you’ve got 1st, nothing like giving your current blast from the past the feel of a bygone blast, a win win experience.

Back