Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Timing question

Greeney in France

Bloody nice bloke actualy
Hi all. i received my new strobe light and I set the timing on the F4 easily apart from anything no rad in the way, it does nt "pink" anymore and runs fine
The 845 4L is being more difficult I took it for a spin 100klm and it was "pinking" on acceleration on all 4 gears a different noise to the F4 too
It has a pointer and I marked it in white and the slot in the flywheel too but when I get them strobing together the pinking has stopped but it lack oomph (power) can someone aid me if I am doing something wrong or something I am not doing correctly
Thank you

The notch on the flywheel on the small engines means "TDC". Ignition timing is 6 deg. BTDC (equals to 11 mm on the flywheel).
If your strobe light has a dephaser, you adjust the advance to 6 degrees and turn the distributor until the pointer aligns with the notch.
If not, then paint a mark on the flywheel 11mm to the left of the notch (when viewing from the front-important!!), then align the pointer with that mark.
Even with 95 RON, the 845 does not pink, I have advanced the timing to 8 degrees, and it still does not! No need for 98 surely.

dont forget engine runs different direction so as 845 has only 1 mark unless you have an adjustable (expensive) strobe only tdc can be accuratley determined
also twisting distributor clockwise has opposite effect on different engine types
(i am pretty sure i am right but as my last 845 went to scotland recently have not refreshed my tired brain for a few years )

my method is to time car to tdc after setting dwell to 57 and paint mark distributor body and block as reference then road test gradually advancing until pinking in4th at 20 mph under load then retard until gone

Yes I did buy the adjustable advance one, my last one was only strobe, I re-timed it and it was fine no pinking or power loss I read in one of the books that said 95 would create pinking so I changed that also, so maybe I got it right with just the timing. when I 1st looked at the timing the mark was a good 20mm+ to the right, why that far out I don't know? It was more of clatter than a pink but gone now thank you

Paul noted something that I forgot-set the timing AFTER the points have accurately been set.
The crankshaft rotation is different between the "large" and "small" engines but distributor rotation is always the same-clockwise.

Clatter?!! Ouch!!

Thank you for your help again, they are both running beautifully now.
I only have a little trouble with choke in as much as I pull it out to start it but it falters if I don't push it in almost immediately.
I came home from Limoges in my little F4 today and got 130klm/hr on the straight
EVERYONE looks at it and points at the Michelin man on top.
Its easy to find in a car park;-)
2a8ed320.jpg

well greeney looks lovely !!

my thoughts on your choke is that it is probably worth adjusting the fast idle rod by a mm or 2
undo the screw that locks rod to linkage and slide it down :confused:(cant remember another memory lapse, best check )then retighten in new position
this will increase choke fast idle speed and stop it over choking

can see why you need those alloy wheels - plastic trims were not designed for R4 :eek:

Ah yes good idea on the linkage
Sorry about the trims my son didn't want them in the end so I thought I would use them but I know you are right they look merde
Alloys will be great on the F4 wont they, even my wife loves the little thing. I say "what car shall we go out in" she says "Bartolo" every time, that's what she calls it

Back