Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

timing question

swannieg

Enthusiast
Hi,
Can some one tel me if the 1970 R4 (850) have a timing chain or gears that drives the cam and oil pump.
the motor is a bit noisy, almost like a loose chain.
thanks,
Gerrie.

Timing Chain

Hi,
I live in Australia and my 1968 fourgon has a chain driven cam. I suspect (but cannot guarantee) that you will be running a chain too.

If you post your oval plate numbers-including the stamped numbers, then some-one else will be able to confirm. Include the engine numbers from plate riveted to the engine block. (RHS). There are some mighty resourceful people on this forum.

Hope this helps a bit.

David

Gerrie,

Do you have a Haynes workshop manual for your car? As it's an early one there are quite a few of them on Ebay UK and the manual will cover many of the questions you have been asking recently.

Steve

The correct 1970 or later engine will have a timing chain, you can verify that by looking at the water drain plug. If it is located at the left side of the block, between the manifolds and the starter, it is a "new" block (chain), if it is located at the rear of the block, facing backwards to the bulkhead, it is an early (gears) block.

Hi Steve,
I did get a renault service workshop manual, M.R.61 E.A 2nd edition.
but it only cover the R1120, R1121, R1122 and the R2102.
according to the plate myne is a R1123. with engine no: 2551082
thanks
Gerrie.

Angel,
according the waterdrain plug it is the chain tipe.
Is the R5's chain and tensioner the same.
If not where can i found a new chain and tensioner.
regards,
Gerrie

Hi,
I did take the motor out to get access to the timing chain.
The chain are very loose and stretched, so how do you remove the chain from the sprockets.
The tensioner works with oil, can i only replaced the chain or must i change the tensioner as well.
Thanks in advance,
Gerrie.

The chain is removed together with the sprockets. Both sprockets are press-fit to the camshaft and crankshaft, so a puller is needed to remove them. It is enough to remove only the camshaft sprocket in order to remove the chain.
I bet that the tensioner rubber pad is deeply scored after that mileage, but if it is not, and you check that all internals are OK, you can keep it. But because of the poor accessibility, it's best to replace all four items (chain, gears, tensioner), if not, you will experience rapid chain wear and noise.
I remember seeing a timing kit on Ebay, make sure that it is made for 845cc engine as 956 and 1108 will not fit.

Timing chain

I'm with Angel.

I would put the message a bit more forcefully. For the relatively small expense-just do it!

If you are doing all the effort of engine removal to do this issue of wear do you need to consider new pistons/liners/head as well. Presumably all of the engine will be worn. Depending on your use, a full overhaull is probably opportune.

A replacement 2nd hand motor may be better if the availability is good.

David

David,

Thats the right thing to do but I am from South-Africa and that is a problem because of spare parts, all the parts you need you have to inport, localy there is none.

I have a spare motor that is fine but if i use that motor i must take the car for police clearence and re-register, to much red tape.

Besides the timing chain there's nothing wrong with the motor.

Regards,

Gerrie.

Besides the timing chain there's nothing wrong with the motor.

That is the usual 850 case, they seem to last indefinitely if not left to overheat, and what wears first, although at high mileage, is the timing chain.

timing marks, 850

Hi,

need advise regarding timing marks on the 850. On the flywheel TDC are marked. On the cam is a punch mark, and on the crank aswell.
So when the crank are on TDC on the flywheel where must the punch mark on the cam be.
I just replaced the chain and wanted to be sure that the timing is right before reinstalling the motor.

Thanks for now.

Gerrie.

These two marks should face away from each other (crankshaft dot downwards, camshaft dot upwards), and aligned in such a way, that these four points (camshaft dot, camshaft centre, crankshaft centre, crankshaft dot) form a straight axis.

Back