Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Tip - GTL - EXHAUST

Le Champ

Less Pain More Gain!
If your GTL needs a replacement then go to your nearest Renault dealer. I have bought a complete system with all the brackets,clamps and mounting rubbers for under £100. (They gave me a 10% discount for being a good customer) The previous exhaust was 'aftermarket' and 'fitted where it touched', one of the mounting brackets (middle section) was welded the wrong way round and could'nt be used. This exhaust thumped, banged and rattled and was the wrong shape at the rear - gradually over-stressing and destroying each of the mounting rubbers in turn. At first I tried to order the middle section (timax brand) correctly from their catalogue but wrong shape again. Exhausts before and after 1984 are quite different.

Out of interest - did you see any evidence of the manufacturer on the exhaust. I don't trust Renault to source original parts - and they don't always well the best aftermarket parts either. Aftermarket exhausts are certainly variable, and the silencers do restrict performance if you are running the Hennessy Hot-Up Kit.

I fitted a Bosal exhaust to Ermintrude and it fitted quite well, though performance could be slightly better. I like the raspy Morris Minor - like noise caused by the nasty flow restriction in the silencer though. How does your Renault system sound?

Aftermarket exhaust mountings don't last at all. Any aftermarket rubber seems to be a problem.

Sorry for late reply mon brave, can't say, have'nt fitted it yet- still waiting for 3 rubber mounts/bobbins and 2 clamps on 'back order' to France. No Renault marking/stamping other than their sticky labels on the bits. Only bit not now available is the airfilter inlet housing/casing (2 shell halves bolted together) bracketed on the exhaust clamp at the manifold - mines cracked. You're right about the bobbins - aftermarket are not profiled/wasted and hold the exhaust too rigidly - transmit vibration/resonance . My 4 had 2 original ren bobbins (much more flexble) which were shearing/hanging by a thread. Remains to be seen whether ren come up with the 'pukka' bobbins. Sent the rear silencer box back - not needed. I will update.;)

The good news is that I got 3 genuine wasted mounting rubbers - the bad news is they were £6(inc. vat) each - Sacre Bleu! I've been straining my ears to assess the sound of my back box - no moggie 1000 strangled 'tuba' blast/rasp is currently detected. In the good old days sound afficianados used to fit a 'cherry bomb' back box to get that lovelly 'cherry' sound - much nicer on the ears. I wonder if they are still in business - would be a great combination with the Hennessy Hot Up Kit. :cool:I'm waiting to see if a refund is possible on my returned b/box, otherwise, I have to keep/will fit it and report.:)

A note about the mounting rubbers, they are standard rubber mounts with two male M6 threads. I buy them from hardware/industrial parts shops and they cost 1-2 euros each.

Back