Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

to restore or not restore?

David Gray

Enthusiast
I have just acquired a 1968 R4. it is very sound with a nice interior. It has been standing outside for some time and is a bit tired looking but the decision really is whether to leave it as it is or completely restore it.
It does not look as though it has ever had any welding done.
It is in its original rather unusual dark green paint. It runs and drives fine although some work will be required for an MOt such as lights, wipers etc.
It does have a few dings and a little rust on the drivers side inner wing.
The clutch feels a bit odd and screethes a little.
I think I will leave it as 6 volt unless it causes problems.
By the way does anyone know what weight an early R4 is.
With a massive 45bhp it must be fairly light?
David Gray

45BHP, what has your car been eating?, take away 20hp and its more like it. It weighs about 700kg, depends how many holes it has. Good luck with it
Allan

Thanks Allan,
You are right its 30BHP with 45 lb ft.I just checked.
700 Kg. Wow thats almost 43 BHP per ton.
David

A '68 car in good condition is very rare in the UK. Most of them have got to the stage where they need a lot of restoration. Yours sounds like a very good find.

The advantage of restoration while they are still sound is you catch all the little bits and pieces that are starting to rot, and can rustproof and paint so they don't rot in the future. Also the car looks prettier when it's all painted up. On the other hand, if you go around the car painting the rusty bits, resealing where the original sealant has failed, then wayoyl the whole lot you'll be able to enjoy the car and preserve it at the same time.

Do post some pictures.

Back