Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Tomorrow I am mostly going to buy a Renault 4

pepper

Pepper The One and Only!
We're off on a road trip, my good ladies letting me buy a Renault 4 for my birthday, (very kind of her I think).

Its all Ian Stanburys fault!!!!:hug:

Trouble is the Renaults in Kendal and we're in Oxfordshire so its a long old trip with the trailer on the back to be undertaken tomorrow.

I just really really hope the cars as good as the chap selling it says it is!

But if it isn't we're taking our walking shoes and waterproofs and a little walking shall be undertaken too.

Here's a photo which James kindly MMS'd me.

It looks like I may be needing a new interior though as one seat doesn't look like its from a 4, more like a five to me.

• Renault 4 in Kendal.jpg
    Renault 4 in Kendal.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 155
It's a foreign one which is encouraging - most other countries aren't as bad for rust as we are. Where is it from?

Hope it's a good one. Chassis and body are really the important bits. Everything else is a haggling point.

Region 61 is Basse Normandie (WesternFrance)

Its the Renault 4 that was offered with a very basic advert a few weeks ago on here.

Ive spoken with James the owner and he says its never been welded and is in fantastic condition structurally but the paintworks faded and the interior has odd seats in it.

He bought it in London and was driving back up to Kendal when he stopped at Wolverhampton (always fatal, I can say that as I'm a local to W'ton) he says a brake caliper seized and then the starter motor failed, neither things are too worriesome IMO.

I have a Volvo 480ES at my house in France which is a nice car but I dread anything going wrong with it as there are Zero Volvo dealers in the area and they are very complicated cars to get right.

Having an old Renault 4 parked in the garage makes a lot of sense to me, far simpler to deal with and with cheap and easily available spares its a great idea.

Oh and I've found in my experience in French winters that they don't seem to grit the roads, the only roads that get a regular gritting are the autoroutes everything else seems to get left alone.

Might be good if it's not rusty underneath. Paint on the bonnet looks peely in a couple of places which suggests a poor respray. Though in my experience nobody looks closely apart from Renospeed so a bit of touch up would work if you can hide it in France. :D

Apart from the cost saving I'll bet the mechanic you take the R4 to will be much more fun than any mechanic you'd find in a Volvo dealership.

Oh I'm not too worried about the paintwork, Never been one for pristine vehicles, my Morris and VW paint jobs are awful but bodily they are in good condition. I've found having pristine paintwork only ends up in tears.

If the bit of Basse Normandie it came from is anything like our bit of Basse Normandie (50 - Manche) it will probably spend most of its life covered in mud and or cow muck if it came from the country. Its not unknown to see them trundling around with a sheep in the back.:o

Funnily enough that sounds just like La Vendee, our neighbours Renault 4 clan has a wooden lining in the back and is used as a petrol driven wheelbarrow.

..What do you mean its my fault..

..All I did was to let you 'test drive' a couple of fab R4's in my garden..

Lucky I didnt let you test drive my Volvo Estate hey - you would have never have got into it?

Last edited by a moderator:
..Hey Reida..

..How nice to hear from you and to hear from Norwayland.

Were you lucky enough to receive my Prize Package that I sent you a wee while ago?

I notice that you have been conspicuous by your absence in trying to identify Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee in my latest competition.

Well worth having a go as the whole of the Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch male voice choir, Bluebell, Pepper, and Malcolm are so far off the mark with their answers, that I could almost guarantee you a second win if the reason is funny enough!!

OOups! How did I do That?? my reply ended up elsewhere here.
Saturday-evenings sees me doing funny stuff-don't know why..

De-Luxe-Prize received with thanx ian-Thought I had informed
you-but you know how it is..winning many prizes All the time-
I must have forgotten..
5mins ago I got news I've just won $ 2.000.000.00 from FreeLotto
Org or is that FreeLotto Maf. They just need my details and account-number plus pin-code....
Guess I can buy another 4 and still have some $$ left for repairs
BEST part of my winning-streak?
-I didn't even buy a lottery-ticket
Now how's That for luck eh?? -R.

Righty Ho fanfare please

We travelled 476 miles this weekend (including stop over in Telford at my Dads). Thanks must go to Kendal council who kindly provided a fantastic Torchlight Carnival for our entertainment and of course to James and his Mum for a great cup of tea.

We had a fantastic Journey, I can thoroughly recommend a Kia Sedona for Towing, with a 2 tonne capacity and it managed to average 34mpg with the trailer on the back its a fantastic vehicle.

James also has an english Metallic Green GTL for sale he has an advert in the classifieds but his lap tops broken. Judith took a couple of photos which we'll put on his advert for him and if anyone wants it and needs a lift I have trailer and possibly may be able to help.

• Download all picturesfrom Kodak camera on 23.09.07 012.jpg
    Download all picturesfrom Kodak camera on 23.09.07 012.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Download all picturesfrom Kodak camera on 23.09.07 019.jpg
    Download all picturesfrom Kodak camera on 23.09.07 019.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 49
..Well done, well done, well done indeed..

..Well done Richard and having had the easy bit, now starts the difficult bit - The Renovation and the very best of luck.

You are very lucky to live a small hop step and a jump from Malcolm and I know he will be absolutely delighted to know you have now joined the club 'proper'

And what a great pic of the young Master Brooks on the trailer - Good luck dear boy..

Oops I should mention that the picture above is of James my son and James the vendor of said time travelling exotic machine.

..James and James..

..What a great combination..and what a great engine for a great Renault?

Slightly over the top per chance?

Whilst we were in Kendal we did of course pick up some mint cake yum yum.

The factory that makes it is next door to James house! MMmmmmm

That Renault 21 looks like a Monaco can I have the seats please?

Back