Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Torque wrench for sump plug

jjad

Enthusiast
After changing the oil I found I had a slight leak from the sump plug. So I tightened up the sump plug a tiny bit more and it doesn't seem to be leaking now.

But it made me think: what is the correct torque setting for the sump plug? I've always tightened sump plugs by hand until now on the 4 cars I've been changing oil on and have never had a leak. I probably under-tighten as I'm scared of ruining the thread.

Haynes doesn't seem to give a figure for the sump plug for the R4. I can see that the drain and filling plugs for the gearbox are 17.3 lb ft (about 24Nm). For our Duster, the sump plug torque is 20Nm.

So I guess the sump plug torque must be around 20Nm or 25Nm, but does anyone know for sure?

Many thanks!

I've no idea of the torque setting Jonathan, but if you use a new fibre/copper washer every oil change, and tighten the plug sufficiently it shouldn't leak.

Thanks Brian :waving:
I'll keep doing it by hand then :)
Seems odd that Haynes doesn't give a figure for it though.
Hope you're OK in this weather.

No problem Jonathan, you're welcome. Yes you would think the Haynes manual would mention it in the specs. Storm Dennis has arrived, and I've battened down the hatches. It's going to be a rough night:o

Back