Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Torsion Bar adjustment

John Doe

Enthusiast
This is drving me crazy so please help if you can. My car was leaning to the right and we turned the torsion bar for one tooth (I don't know am I using the right expresions but I hope you can understand) but it's too much and now it's leaning to the left side.

This is where we turned it.
torsion2wu4.jpg

I'm asking you is it possible to adjust it finer on the other side? Over here?
torsion1ml1.jpg

Or what is your suggestion how should I do this because I can't stand it any more :(

BTW I've noticed that your cars have different suspension arms.
lafetby5.jpg

I don't think there is any fine adjustment on the front torsion bars. Only the splines you've already found.

From your last photo I think the car has rusted behind the inner rear suspension mounting. The height of the rear suspension is controlled by the position of the mounting holes and rust in there allows the suspension to move a little and causes the car to sag to one side. Once that's hapapend adjusting the front torsion bars just screws up the handling.

I forgot to say that this is my spare R4, I'm using it to figure out how stuff works :) I thought that I could use it's torsion bars but it's leaning to the left :( Handling is not that good, the car is just to high :(

The saga continues... Ok, the torsion bar has 20 splines on one side and 21 on the other. Turning it on both ends gives you fine tune. Last week I've turned it for 2 splines and today for 5 but it's not enough. Does anybody know much you gain/lose in height by turning the torsion for one spline on both ends?

As far as I remember 1 spline (on both ends, as you said) is 3mm at the wheel at the front and 3,5mm rear.

Back