Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Torsion Bar Questions

Peepingheads

Hello

I have had to remove and replace the front wishbone on my 1987 Savane, this of course has involved removing the torsion bar. I have the correct Renault tool to unload the torsion bar and removed the bar from the car.

Question I have is does the 8 sided boss plate that is used to tension the bar lay flush with the floor pan when I reassemble or is it installed at an angle?

Problem I had was the pressed plate that boss sits in was damaged from a previous bodge.

I need to now reinstall the torsion bar and set things correctly, anyone have and pointers on how to do this? For example, if I had a new bar how would I install it first time to get a sensible ride height?

Ta.

p

The anchor lever fixing bolts will set the anchor lever flat with the rear crossmember side when tightened so don't worry. The boss protruding below the floorpan helps for positioning the anchor lever before tensioning the bar, but it's not critical if a little bent.
On the edge of the floorpan opening for the anchor lever, there is a small lip raised inwards. As a starting point before tensioning the bar, fit the anchor lever at such a position so that there is a distance of 10mm between its edge and this raised lip with the anchor lever centered in the locating boss. You may have to try several positions of the torsion bar both at the anchor lever and at the lower arm end to achieve this setting.
Have a look here, too:
https://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/how-to-set-front-ride-heights.5693/#post-33725

Back