Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Translucent Steering Wheel

ian Stanbury

Enthusiast
..Inside etc ?

How much shall I offer for this - Its being sold for bits and has a streering wheel to die for!!

• 9160138604.jpg
    9160138604.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 381
Ian: do you know the nice steering wheel will not fit a GTL?

Last edited:
..Of course I didnt know that Malcolm..

..As you and everyone else knows, I dont know much about Renaults 4's other than how to drive one around and be so bloody pleased with Dulcie Bella's enthusiasm for starting and getting on the road!!

The steering wheel idea was for you but the chap in Lucon wants 500 euros for the whole car, so sorry, you will have to carry on with Nutellas original steering wheel after all..

Enjoy the slow trip home and we all wish you both well.

See you and Nutella at Paradise soon...

• Doors 1 c.jpg
    Doors 1 c.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 355
500 euros is too much. I have a steering wheel like that. It was immaculate but I damaged it during a trial fit. :( Fortunately my friend Emily is an epoxy expert so a trip over to Norfolk soon for repairs. Not for Ornella though - she will become more original over time (if it is possible to make a car more original by replacing parts).

Slightly off-topic, but because you mentioned it Malcolm, did you finally find the material of the steering wheel ans a suitable material to repair it?

Not yet - I have a friend who has offered to help repair the steering wheel. She has a lot of different epoxies and plastics. But she's asked me to talk to a friend of hers for advice first, and I haven't yet. Will repair the wheel next year and will let you know which material we use.

..Do you want me to buy the steering wheel for you Angel?

..I dont know what its like but I am happy to have a look and report back if you are interested - Tell me how much to offer if its in reasonable condition?

• Autumn leaves O.jpg
    Autumn leaves O.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 356
..Angel..

..Have had a reply from man in Lucon who wants 20 euros for the steering wheel and gear stick but he says the steering wheel is not in very good state.

Is it worth the trouble?

• 9135164640 c.jpg
    9135164640 c.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 537
This would probably be better off in it's own thread - we'd be in danger of steering off the topic in the other thread.

I'd have thought the steering wheel and gearknob would be worth more without the car attached. 20 euros is a good price. I think it was Mark from the Renault 4 run who had been looking for a spare, though possibly one without the cracks and I don't know how to contact him. I don't need one.

Hey that's the same steering wheel as we have on our 1968 1120. But you have the ups on us on the knob front. Most envious. Here's a picture of ours :

*dang, hang on a jiff*

Sound like a bargain price just for the knob bit....

toodlepip

David

..Sorry Malcolm..

..My little translucent steering wheel thread was rather spoiling your nice Ornella thread!!

Anyway, have you set of on your big trip home yet or are you now at home, and if so, how was the trip?

Now David, we didnt quite get the snap you were posting in the previous thread?

And, where is a pic from your front window in the lovely Pyrenees?

• r4ry.jpg
    r4ry.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 88
et voila.....but the picture from the front window will have to wait as it's wild and woolly and blowing a huey out there tonight.....

regards as always

David

Nice artistic pic there David. Your steering wheel looks correct for 1968 model year. That one didn't come with a fancy gear lever and is much darker in colour than the wheel in Ian's photo which was 1967 model year only. The '67 wheel is bright orange - really quite daring.

If you wanted the knob you really ought to go for the wheel too or else it would look silly. A matching bright orange see-through steering wheel and gearknob would of course look sensible. :D

Anyway, have you set of on your big trip home yet or are you now at home, and if so, how was the trip?
Starting off tomorrow morning, should hopefully arrive home Sunday afternoon. I'll take it gently to avoid putting too much strain on all the original (worn out) parts.

..Sorry Angel..

.. I did go, but sadly I dint see and I didnt conquer the steering wheel and gear knob business in Lucon.

We arranged to meet the owner in a MacDo car park and then go on and see the car but the monkey failed to turn up, so I gave up on the idea!!

Sorry...

• Ian's Renaults (with title)(copper) email.jpg
    Ian's Renaults (with title)(copper) email.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 76
OK, never mind, and thanks anyway for your interest!

Back