Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

trim tabs

billythefish

Enthusiast
when I had my 1971 R4 estate resprayed I lost the push on clips for the long stainless steel trim that runs along the bottom of the doors from the rear to the front, has any one any idea where I can buy some, as I do not want to glue it back on.
billy

trim clips

i think they were spring steel that scratch the paint when u push them in and cause rust later, i got plastic ones from a motor factors for my 77 4TL.
the car looked great but the floor and chassis still fell apart still covered in waxoyle, i think because they use cheap thin metal to build renaults the rust is in the metal bit like lancia bettas in the 70s & 80s there is no cure for rust. if i were to restore another i would want a new quality chassis and have it galvanised if you repair an old one it rusts around the repair, fact, time will tell,
i just love driving them tho, and i want another, but new as possible and low millage thats never seen a damp day, so if any body knows where there is one let me know. sermon over.:rolleyes:
reg

billy! reason why F4's don't rust in the usual R4-spots ie under all that trim etc is the F4 don't have them -Thank The Lord!
I know you'd want to put all the trim back on to make it look proper and complete but if you're in for the long run..
- Stay Off them alltogether!
-Now I will have made lots of you guys Off-and in case,I'm sorry for this but the signs are all there to see..Have a look at Where the 4L body rusts;under the charm-lists rear wings right? Under the charm-lists on the doors right Even under the plastic(!)trim
-All because they are all dust/muck/Water/moisture-collectors..
If I needed to "replace" the charm-lists I would PAINT on a nice pinstriping
-You get the effect without the hassle and sorrows later on.

-In MY opinion ALL charm-lists etc is an invention made by the Devil and were manufactured for One purpose Only
-To sell more wings,doors etc
Even if you use doublesided soft-tape you still have the same problem mud/water is stuck and this means rust down the road ! -R.

rust

theres a lot of talk on insulation, nobody has mentioned moisture, if you use the wrong kind you may aswell use a damp sponge, not good for renaults, if your windows are steamed up so are the inside of your doors tailgate roof & door pillars etc, also take out the rubber mats & make some duck boards, go outside now & look under the drivers side mat, not good for renaults.
Billy put all your chrome back on take some pictures but dont take car out unless its a dry sunny day, leave it in the garage with tailgate up & windows open that way it should last maybe 5 years before its rusty again. not your fault its in the metal. its a love hate thing with R4s,and me
i still want another
reg

Hi reg! Think we can all agree on damp and moisture killing Any car.
in mu opinion best to have good ventilation in garage,leaving windows open will help moving moisture out of the car.Also be aware of driving car wet or coverd in snow into the garage..This are all common-sense.
A cost-effective help to get rid of moisture if you have a closed/tight garage is called a DRY-BALL cost is negleable and they are easy to use just refill with new Silica-gel given in instruction.(same stuff you find in small bags inside box when you buy any/all electrical equipment Camera/phone/stereo etc.) And don't forget to emty water that's collected in it..

-Where I would subscribe to other opinion than yours is where you say the fault is in the metal...
I've so far found the original sheet-metal of quite good -if somewhat thin quality (talking about the French-amaufactured parts)
If there were (enough)traces of pollutants in the sheetmetal they used for bodyparts we would see lots more rust-spots turning up -F.x. in the middle of a panel -with no apparent reason..
usually it's quite easy too see Why the panel rusts where it does.. Screw/ridge/double-skin/spot-weld/clips Plus any usual places where mud and much/moisture is hard to get rid off so is left there to work..
but Hey-we're talking semantics here now-Main thing is to save our 4 regardless of method-Right?
-I'm using Roffen regardsless of rain -main thing is to hose the car down after used in rain.
If I couldn't use Roffen due to rain I'd rather have someone else adopt him and save a picture on the wall instead...
A good thourough Proper(!) wax twice a year does wonders for the paint and chrome,and gives you a chanse to discover any "spots" before they get serious.
-I'm using two large/high ramps so I can park Roffen at an angle One time at the front -next time rear sometimes tilting to the left/right to try to make sure water doesnt collect same spots.. -R.

damp & rust

hi reidalpine
i once bought some genuine front wings, i sanded the cheap primer off, then used expensive etching primer, then two pack primer, then two pack paint
in the colour, then stone chip underneath, put plenty of sealer on the joints bolted them on, got underneath, sealed every where, sprayed waxoyle on top, 3 years later rust, i keep all my motors clean on top & underneath, as for the chassis front & rear outer part thats double skin its impossible to stop rust, if they can make a chassis for a 2cv why not a renault ? an engineering company only needs a good one to make a jig ime sure, how many orders would they have i wonder. count me out tho, i just want to drive them, no more restorations for me, so i repeat anybody that knows where there is a out of the box condition late model low miles or klm r4 car or van let me no,

Reg.

Thanks guys for the full blown debate but I don't have a garage and the car sits outside covered up with a car cover.
I intend to use the car as much as possible because I love to drive it so much, not 100% bothered that the trims are on or not, just thought I would ask for advice.
I change the oil each month because it has no oil filter and I clean underneath after which I then use the old oil to brush on mixed with grease, hope fully this will help preserve it for as long as possible, as it was a new floor I welded in place myself late last year, it should last quite a few years yet.
You both made a good point about windows getting steamed up so I always leave mine half open but I will have to think about getting rid of the rubber matting.
When I die I have informed the undertaker to sit me at the wheel of my R4 and bury me with a full flask of tea, ham and cheese sandwiches ( must be Warburton's best bread ) and a full tank of petrol, because it could be a long journey to the other side
billy:hug:

Can anyone post a picture of one and the size. I have various clips but do not know what these look like.

Back