Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

TURBO 4 inlet manifold problems

entwistlecymru

Enthusiast
I was hoping someone could shed light on how to fit a standard Gordini Turbo inlet manifold into a 4? I fitted the engine today but the manifold fouls the steering column. Am I right in thinking the way around it is to move the steering UJ lower down the column? Anyone got any pics of their RHD turbo 4?

Is the turbo manifold the same as the non-turbo manifold? I chatted to Derek from Renospeed last year about fitting the non-turbo manifold. His approach was to move the UJ further down the steering shaft, but he also spoke about moving the position of the shaft where it went through the bulkhead and raising the engine mountings a little.

I'm planning to fit a Gordini into an early RHD car with one piece steering column. Hopefully the absence of a UJ will give me some more room, though possibly the whole shaft will foul and cause no end of problems.

I don't know about the non turbo manifold. It looks as though the easiest way is to move the UJ but the column will be at a slightly sharper angle so the feel of the steering may be affected. I'd thought of moving where the column comes through the bulkhead too but I reckon it'll affect too many other bits to be worth it. I'll keep you posted!

Back