Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wanted- Chassis side member

angel

Enthusiast
I am about to do some restoration work on a 1975 R4, on which the lower part of the right front chassis side member has rusted badly. Does anyone by chance have a repair section for this? Or a chassis from which that part can be cut off?

Do you mean the part where the front suspension attaches or the front of the sill? I have a spare chassis used for parts. It's been in the UK for 25 years so might not be perfect. Can take some photos.

I mean what I marked on the drawing. It is rotten up to the part that attaches to the floor. It's no problem if it has surface rust or minor dents, as far as it does not have any rust holes. I trust you, and your experience in R4s, so if you think it is OK there is no need to take photos.

• 4l longeron.jpg
    4l longeron.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 114
Those dudes are always rusty at the bottom over here. I opened one up on the current project: http://www.renault4.co.uk/gordini-front-chassis.htm That was worse than most, but it's common to see a ripple at the edge of the lower shin.

I'll have a look at the one on my spares chassis and let you know if it's useable.

Angel, it wasn't that long ago that the complete front part of the chassis was still listed by Renault - at least the GTL part was available - not sure if it's the same as a 70's chassis. May be worth looking into.

The GTL chassis should not be any different from the TL. But I doubt if any Renault dealer here can help me...besides most of them not knowing what a R4 is, the dealer closest to my garage asked me for a R4 rear bumper some time ago-don't you think the opposite should had happened? :-D
That's why I am seeking help here, just in case anyone knew a source where I could find it.

I don't have good access to the chassis but the chassis side-member looks OK apart from jacking damage. There might be signs of rot near the triple skin part under the suspension mountings. Lighting is poor where the chassis is stored so it's difficult to tell. They normally go there.

Would be better to replace the whole section rather than cutting near to the suspension. Mine will be rusty where the floor panel covers the chassis - they all are, and my chassis is missing the outer front crossmember panel.

• sidemember-outer.jpg
    sidemember-outer.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 103
  • sidemember-inner.jpg
    sidemember-inner.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 99
  • sidemember-inner-2.jpg
    sidemember-inner-2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 102
Back