Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wanted - The impossible...

Lobster

Enthusiast
Hello,

I know what I want might be virtually impossible but nothing ventured and all that...

I want a decent R4 F4 or F6 van, preferably a later model and not needing a major amount of work either. Oh and it would be nice if it was in blue!

I know its a long shot but it has to be worth a try!

Thanks,
David

Maybe not impossible or such a long shot

Hi

Got a 1985 C reg F6 in Blue. Just under 70,000 miles and very tidy. Just arranging new MOT and going to put it up on ebay but if you're interested get in touch and I'll e mail photos etc. I'm in Chester by the way.

Oh yes, got an F4 too. Green. Much rougher but running nicely and driving too. Not sure about selling yet as also have a 1400cc engine and a 5 speed box I fancy putting in it. Bit of welding on the front floor pan on this one to do first though! so could be persuaded.

Lee

Seems like it was impossible after all

Looks like this isn't happening... which is a great pity :(

So, seeing as R4 vans are a pretty rare thing here, let alone decent R4 vans, how easy / viable is it to import one? There are odd ones on French eBay but how easy is it to bring one back or does anyone have any other suggestions as to where I can look.

Thanks!

French eBay is probably the thing. The vans have been rare in the UK for 10 years, and they aren't getting any less rare.

Importing from France is dead easy. Drive it over. There's a customs form to fill in but I think it can be done once you are here (Google "importing car"). It's over 10 years old so very few regs or costs - just got to pass an MOT, so fog lamp on the right hand side, modify the headlamp beam (instructions in tech tips) and maybe some stickers on the speedo to mark the speed in mph. There's a registration fee for the UK, only a few tenners, and the normal road tax and you're away.

Be warned though, most French vans are complete wrecks and wouldn't pass an English MOT (the French seem to love pop rivets and filler, and routine maintenance is generally viewed as being optional...). They're getting rare over here too, although nothing like as rare as in the UK.

On the plus side, most vans over here tend to be F4s rather than the F6s you used to see more often in the UK, and although they're smaller inside they look a lot nicer. Also, both the electricity board and phone company used to run fleets of bright blue F4 vans, so it's not an unusual colour here (the other common colour was pale yellow, as used by the post office).

Let me know if you see one on French eBay and need any help translating.

Back