Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Water pump belt tensioning pulley ( bearing)

laxeian

Enthusiast
Changed the bearing on the tensioner soon after purchase of van due to shot bearing, when removing bearing from pulley/spindle on engine block side there was a slot with spring washer, noticed while checking everything that the new bearing (SKS) now has excessive play and is starting to whine a little, it needs changing again.The new bearing was pressed into place at local garage ( dont have tools to DIY).
Looking at pulley in situ now it looks 1-2mm out of line with pump pulley, so the slight misalignment has caused premature wear.
Is it just a case of the bearing/pulley being pushed onto spindle too far, although fitment of spring washer block side was no problem, or is there further washers that it was missing.(or could this stop a replacement replacement bearing from having such a short lifespan, or should the pulley bracket/adjuster be installed with washer to space out and align), it went back on as it came off.
The new bearing has lasted about 10kkm, which I feel ( but don’t actually know) is a short life.
Any advice?
(1108 cleon)

Last edited:
Hi Ian
The 4 circlips should ensure that the bearing is correctly installed in the pulley, and that the pulley is correctly installed on the spindle. Perhaps the two pulleys are out of alignment because of a missing washer (inked in photo 2)?P1050137 (2).JPGInked20210106_140655_LI.jpg

Thanks for reply and photo Andy, your spot on, just looked at tensioner, your photo has explained why I needed to change bearing in the 1st place and now a 2nd time!, I reassembled it the way it came ( water pump and head looked new upon purchase, previous owner said he had changed both), the washer arrowed had been installed at the rear of block bolt hole under nut, I repeated incorrect position, repeating cause of initial failure due to tensioner not being spaced by washer into correct alignment. So, as they say, 3rd time lucky!

Back