Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

water pump

NicksR4

Hello, I am new here. Purchased a 1971 R4 a couple of months ago to work on with my lad. Noticed a radiator issue, decided to replace, heard a thump as we removed the fan shroud - a couple of washers and a nut fell out!, now see this came from the water pump, and punctured a hole in the back of the radiator. Unsure how important that nut is, its in the centre of the fan, and after a look in Haynes , looks to be the nut at the end of the impeller maybe. While the radiator is out and not knowing if the pump will still perform, it seems to make sense to put a new pump on and be done with it. Now looking at new pumps on the usual websites, the pumps they recommend for the 1971 845cc look a little different, they dont show the nut (now ex-nut). Anyone had a sheared nut themselves? anyone else bought another pump I mention?, also is there a torque setting when I put the new pump back on?. Grateful for any advice/input. We are new to this, - major job for us to tackle!
NIck.

hello nick
i got some websites here with water pumps on to see if any look like yours

Hello, I am new here. Purchased a 1971 R4 a couple of months ago to work on with my lad. Noticed a radiator issue, decided to replace, heard a thump as we removed the fan shroud - a couple of washers and a nut fell out!, now see this came from the water pump, and punctured a hole in the back of the radiator. Unsure how important that nut is, its in the centre of the fan, and after a look in Haynes , looks to be the nut at the end of the impeller maybe. While the radiator is out and not knowing if the pump will still perform, it seems to make sense to put a new pump on and be done with it. Now looking at new pumps on the usual websites, the pumps they recommend for the 1971 845cc look a little different, they dont show the nut (now ex-nut). Anyone had a sheared nut themselves? anyone else bought another pump I mention?, also is there a torque setting when I put the new pump back on?. Grateful for any advice/input. We are new to this, - major job for us to tackle!
NIck.
Hi Nick
The early original and replacement pumps for the 'small' (Billancourt) engines had the nut system; later replacement pumps didn't (perhaps to prevent the problem you mention occurring). In the picture below, the top pump is the original from a 1972 TL (R1123), and the other is a Marelli replacement.
I'm not sure what the official torque setting is, but it's best to check that everything is ready before the radiator goes back - one of the bolts is really difficult to get to otherwise.
The other thing that might be tricky is undoing the bolts - they can shear easily.
The Renault parts book for 70-83 gives 7701461173 as the water pump number. This eBay listing is for a QH equivalent:

Water Pump fits RENAULT R4 0.8 62 to 89 Coolant QH 7700669703 7701452782 Quality | eBay

20210705_141903.jpg

hello nick
i got some websites here with water pumps on to see if any look like yours
Thank you for your time snd trouble.

Hi Nick
The early original and replacement pumps for the 'small' (Billancourt) engines had the nut system; later replacement pumps didn't (perhaps to prevent the problem you mention occurring). In the picture below, the top pump is the original from a 1972 TL (R1123), and the other is a Marelli replacement.
I'm not sure what the official torque setting is, but it's best to check that everything is ready before the radiator goes back - one of the bolts is really difficult to get to otherwise.
The other thing that might be tricky is undoing the bolts - they can shear easily.
The Renault parts book for 70-83 gives 7701461173 as the water pump number. This eBay listing is for a QH equivalent:

Water Pump fits RENAULT R4 0.8 62 to 89 Coolant QH 7700669703 7701452782 Quality | eBay

View attachment 28667
That’s exactly what I have (less the nut!) and what I needed to know. Pump ordered. Thanks to all for their trouble.

Back