Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Webasto Roof

mupps

Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

Dropped my four off to the garage last week in preperation for using next year. The only problem I can see is where can I get the sunroof checked over. Its a pull back Webasto and looks factory so 3/4 length ish. Any ideas?? Also does anyobe get inolved in any meets over the summer?

Ta ..:wink:

The only UK Renault 4 meet so far is the one organised by Derek of Renospeed fame. That tends to happen in Kent on May bank holiday weekend. Well worth sending an email to him to get yourself on the mailing list. We'll hopefully meet on the next one.

What's the problem with the fabric roof? If it doesn't leak then it's probably OK.

The only problem I can see is where can I get the sunroof checked over. Its a pull back Webasto and looks factory so 3/4 length ish.

Those sunroof generally look after themselves, they either work by sliding open and folding nicely or they don't. I had a steel frame Weathershields type on my previous Renault 12. The PO had done a lot of work on that roof. The sun made the vinyl go hard and brittle, this let water into the roof which then rusted the steel front and rear header rails (easy to spot as it bubbled under the vinyl, then the rusty bit then snaps off). The front and rear header rails were nicely refabricated from stainless steel by a patient pro, with a new vinyl top stitched up by an auto upholsterer. After that it was a decent roof, but there was always wind noise if the roof was closed.

The Webasto timber frame roof has its own problems with wood rot, they rot bad enough here so I hate to imagine what they are like in sunny England!

Cheers guys for the replies. I have emailed a guy who restores the roofs in Kent but needs to see the car. Can't wait to get it back and then I can get it sorted...

As for the meet count me in!!

Ta,

Mupps:)

Back