Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Weeping coolant at radiator

Eccles60

First Renault 4 after 40 years waiting
Sorry if I'm rather hogging this forum but being new to Renaults, I have many questions!

The weekend before last I drove my new purchase from London to Solihull, clocking up about 135 miles via the M25 and M40 at a steady 55 to 60 mph. The car ran really well but I noticed once I'd parked up that at least the top hose and expansion bottle pipe connections to the radiator were weeping and there was about a cup of coolant directly under the sump. The expansion bottle itself was still about half full but the coolant within looks a little murky.

I checked under the oil filler cap and it's nice and clean, dipping the oil the next day and it's up to the top. I've tried tweaking the hose clamps but methinks someone's beaten me to it because they are rock solid tight.

The hoses were presumably changed during its restoration barely four years ago and they still feel reasonably flexible but why the dribbles?

Talking to fellow forum member Pepper at the NEC on the Renault Car Club stand suggested using Type D coolant (amazingly reasonably priced from Renault) and warned me about not removing the radiator cap and raising the overflow bottle to get a head of pressure.

Question is, how to stop the leaks I've noticed (i.e. there may be others)? A drain, flush and refill is probably a good idea anyway but will just remaking the joints after cleaning and using new clamps stop the leaks (should I use something on the radiator stubs before pushing the hoses on?), Or should I fit new top and bottom hoses? If so, where's the best place to get them? Neither Renault nor a couple of local factors I've tried can help me

Many thanks in anticipation of your suggestions.

Mark B

Weeping coolant ? have you tried telling it a bedtime-story? c",)
- Seriously -change hoses,check for sharp edges or chips on stubs,
usually theres 2 edges from the manufacturing-process-file down spray or smear some silicone inside hoses,push them onto stub,then
pull them a tiny bit back again so they're not under stress,check hoses isn't twisted or bent, tighten with clamps Not Too tight ,just enough
Plus a Tad more and you'll be good to go! Zooooom -R.

Last edited:
Just a thought, have you checked the water pump?
Err, checked it for what exactly? I can see the weeping from the radiator stubs but it does seem to end up in a pool under the sump...

There’s a plate between the chassis rails under gearbox that would catch water from radiator area,water would roll down plate and drip onto floor by front of sump when standing, theres a bleed valve for the system coming out of the bulkhead ( small pipe with ‘tap’ at end) , when engines running if you undo bleed valve you ‘should ‘ get a flow of water coming out of valve, if theres no airlocks in system, and the waterpumps pumping.( Best checked before engines at boiling point), also is the radiator fan kicking in ( if I leave mine just standing idling you can see/hear it kick in/ out after a few minuites).
Edit:- Have also just found out it can be foolhardy to try and post and cook at the same time :doh:....

There’s a plate between the chassis rails under gearbox that would catch water from radiator area,water would roll down plate and drip onto floor by front of sump when standing, theres a bleed valve for the system coming out of the bulkhead ( small pipe with ‘tap’ at end) , when engines running if you undo bleed valve you ‘should ‘ get a flow of water coming out of valve, if theres no airlocks in system, and the waterpumps pumping.( Best checked before engines at boiling point), also is the radiator fan kicking in ( if I leave mine just standing idling you can see/hear it kick in/ out after a few minuites).
Edit:- Have also just found out it can be foolhardy to try and post and cook at the same time :doh:....

Many thanks and watch those hot saucepans...

Think I’ve just replicated the invention of the frisbee in my omelette pan....

Back