Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Welding Chassis

mupps

Enthusiast
Hi all,

Its been ages since I have had a chance to look at my r4 and it does require some welding in places. From what I can see its only small patches in the centre of the floor a small hole in the rear inner wing boot area and a small hole in the front bulkhead. I can take care of the prep work but my welding is very poor and was wondering if someone on the forum would consider tackling it for me if I can get it all back to bare metal?

I am located in berkshire and can arrange transport for 'freddy'. I have been looking forward to getting round to this job for over three years but it has taken a recession and redundancy to bring it closer.....

Thanks to all,

Mupps:hug:

There is a good tutorial on the mig-welding website. A few years ago I bought myself a mig-welder, produced horrible welds for a while but the reward is the amount of satisfaction you will get from reparing things yourself. Oh, and welding a 2cv back together for some students also helps.:)
Don't be scared. Even professionals will not get pretty welds on the floorpan. As long as the surfaces to be welded are clean things will be fine. You could try welding a few test pieces together to build confidence and then do the real deal. Whatever you do GO SLOW.
In the beginning you'll be inclined to rush your work. Totally normal, everybody does it and as your skill improves you'll "feel" what to do rather than having to guide your body by brainpower.

Thanks for the advice Blacksmith. I shall check out the website and maybe take some time out to practice for longer. You are right in that its just getting used to it.

Thanks again,

Mupps

Back