Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wet liners

MartinA

Enthusiast
Hi I have a 1108cc engine of unknow history so I have taken the head off and sent it off for checking and harden exhaust valves. I don't really want to dismantle the rest of the engine as I have no experience of wet liners. I have bolted them down so I can turn the engine over.

I have been told that the wet liners should be slightly proud of the head - mine are not - is this correct?

I have a new gasket set which has what appears to be the gakets for the wet liners - 4 thin pieces of paper - is this correct?

Advise very welcomed.

In broad terms the liners should be slightly proud of the block, as follows: 0.04-0.12mm using a "composition" base, or 0.08-0.15mm if a copper base is used. These bases are compressed as the cylinder head is tightened onto the block. The paper seals you have would appear to be the "composite" ones, so the lower set of measurements apply. 0.04-0.12mm is a very small measurement, so I'd use a micrometer to check if the liners are slightly "proud".

So if the head has been on and compressed the gaskets the liners would be flush?

Back