Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wet Liners

The4seeker

Enthusiast
Does anybody know how you go about changing the wet liners.
On my head problem post someone mentioned its worth changing the paper seals on the wet liners at the same time as doing the cylinder head. My workshop manual mentions nothing of them?? and someone else said if these need changing you have to rebuild the engine!
I am confused

I should ignore what I said and go with what Steve said - the gist of which was you should be OK with the liner seals. Any high pressure seal is with the head gasket, and if the lower liner seals failed you'd only drop a little water into the sump.

If you were to change them then you'd need to remove the conrods from the crank and pull the liners out.

You mentioned a cracked head. Did you have it crack tested? And did you find a new head?

Thanks for that. Inch long crack in head. Its its been repaired at a local engineering shop, and refaced. £20 so quite happy.
Will keep you posted on how I get on plus a write up in the technical section if you are interested.
Plus bumped into an old R4 addict, now retired, has loads of spares incuding a complete TURBO!!!! installation.

A write up would be really cool is you have pictures. The repair sounds interesting, and it would be good to pass on any ideas to help with refitting the head to prevent further failure.

A turbo sounds like fun.

Back