Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What a great everyday car!

Eccles60

First Renault 4 after 40 years waiting
Having not had my 4 out for several months (ok, almost a year) despite lockdown, his imminent MoT meant I needed to check all was well; clean discs, starting and running well, and so on.

So, on Monday and yesterday I was using him as my main car, and what a fine job he does. It's been hot and humid - 30+ degrees and very humid - but I figured it's no worse than parts of France.

He sits at 50-55 mph a treat although the vinyl seats are a bit sticky in this weather.

I can't believe the attention he gets! Waves, smiles, pointing, I get the lot. Even the chap at a local shot blasters said "I really like that!"

Well today it's MoT day - wish him luck. I've marked the bonnet release since it's not obvious to the uninitiated. I've also asked them to do an oil change and taken then the filter and Duckhams 20W-50.

Happy days! I just wish there was a fairly local show I could go to - I'm in the Midlands.

Now, how can I fit a cupholder...
IMG_20200810_122109359_HDR.jpgIMG_20200810_122029071_HDR.jpg

Sadly he failed his MoT on emissions!

When I asked the service manager whether his mechanics could twiddle the idle mixture (having checked the air cleaner) and retest, I was met with silence. It became obvious that they didn't know about carbs, points and condensers. I also asked if they'd made sure the choke was in... I was hoping they would do an oil change but decided not to trust them.

So, I tried another garage a few miles out into the Warwickshire countryside rather than garage A just a 10 minute walk away.

I shall reserve a full report until the end of next week when it's booked in but this place always gets glowing reviews, two friends will go nowhere else and three of the chaps there (including the boss) worked for a decade or two at a Renault main dealer and know 4s inside out!

I've asked them to get it through the MoT (they test as well) and do a service. I know I should do this stuff myself but aging bones, RA and far more exciting stuff to play with than grovelling under a car,...

Hopefully my little car will be in very safe hands. They seemed genuinely excited at the chance to work on an old Renault...

I despair at the fact that such a complicated task as finding a slotted screwdriver and turning it clockwise is too difficult
Absolutely. I think they were confused because they couldn't find the OBDII socket. I'm crossing everything that garage B and the brace of very keen and enthusiastic ex-Renault mechanics can sort things. I can (or could) but it's 35 years since I fiddled with carburetors and other grubby parts and nowadays it doesn't hold the lure it used to, so I thought I'd let the experts do it.. I reckon any ICE vehicle will be in trouble in about 20 years' time when there'll be even fewer technicians who even know what an engine actually is.

Hi, my better half always takes her car, a Mazda Demio, to a garage for it's MOT and leaves it there for them to test at their leisure, which is ok I suppose, but I prefer to be in attendance at the test. The chap who tests my 4 is an old car enthusiast and gets me to assist him, and it means I'm on hand to do any necessary adjustments like carb or lights. Very handy. The downside is he likes 2CVs, but then nobody's perfect :)
Good luck Eccles60 with your MOT.

I have a customer who owns a Renault Estafette van, which he uses as a mobile catering vehicle. I've serviced it for ages and he reckons I'm the only mechanic he's ever found who can tune an engine WITHOUT using computers! I consider dwell angle and CO exhaust meters don't count, though!

Good suggestion about the bonnet release - I usually just go for a walk while my car is being tested but in the case of the R4 I got a phonecall halfway asking how to release the bonnet........

Back