Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What gearbox and engine combination

Galgo

Enthusiast
Hello!

I'm sorry to bother you all but I need help.

I have finally gathered all the matterial for my 4L but now here is the tricky part: I have 845 cc 4L with a 4 gearbox. In my garage I have already a 5 gearbox from a Laureate and a rare 1.4 engine from a LeCar (yes, I stumbled on it, came from Canada).

Now the question is: what is the best combination?

845 engine with 4 gearbox (witch is legal)
845 engine with 5 gearbox (is it worth all the trouble?)
1397 engine with 4 gearbox
1397 engine with 5 gearbox

And what tyres do you recomend for each of these combinations? I have 135/80 and 165/65. In terms oh height, it's more or less the same.

I'm thinking of going for the 1397 engine with 4 gearbox.

Can I hear your thoughts on this, please?

Sorry once again.

Regards,

Galgo

Hi Galgo,

This has nothing to do with your engines, but I was thinking about your previous thread, re rear moustache moulding. I found one on the french ebay site, not cheap I'm afraid, but its original and will not cost as much as fabricating one yourself.

Take a look anyhow on htp//cgi.ebay.fr/RARE-renault-R4-4L-enjoliver-baguette-plaque-AR_W0QietemZ20031051903QCCmdZVie .

Hi Galgo,

This has nothing to do with your engines, but I was thinking about your previous thread, re rear moustache moulding. I found one on the french ebay site, not cheap I'm afraid, but its original and will not cost as much as fabricating one yourself.

Take a look anyhow on htp//cgi.ebay.fr/RARE-renault-R4-4L-enjoliver-baguette-plaque-AR_W0QietemZ20031051903QCCmdZVie .

Hello Tim.

thank you for this alert. in fact I'll take the oportunity to state this: since this piece always shows up at these amazing prices i decided that I really wanted one but at a lower price.

Therefore, talking to some known people, we found on, had it made in 3D and processed in aluminium. It will be a reproduction but who gives a damn!

I'm expecting the prototype and price information.

If there is anybody interested, let me know. maybe i can get lower prices if the quantity to order in bigger.

Regards,

G.

Another question... will 1397 engine fix with 4 gearbox of 845 engine? they work to the same side?

I'm fairly certain the 1108cc and 1397cc engines rotates in the opposite direction from the 850cc engine, so they would need to be used with the correct gearbox. (Otherwise 4 reverse gears).

The 4 speed gearbox from the 1108cc Renault 4s will fit the 1397cc engine. I think the Renault 5 4 speed gearbox has a slightly longer bellhousing that would need to be changed for the Renault 4 part. The 5 speed gearbox will be longer and require some re-engineering of the front mounting on the chassis.

For tyres I prefer slightly taller tyres (145/80 13) as the gearing is slightly more relaxed. 155 would be the widest that could be fitted to standard rims, but I guess you are looking at the R5 rims (which will fit).

The engines are the same length. Gearbox bellhousings are a different length. The 1397 must be from a Mk1 Renault 5. Mk 2 has all the important bits at the wrong end.

The 5 speed gearbox will be longer and require some re-engineering of the front mounting on the chassis. it's also aplicated to 4 speed gearbox of lecar(1397)?or it won't be need to cut off anything?

Tnx ;) At the moment I have two 1108cc, two GTL gearboxes and one 1397cc with 5 speed box. I will probably go with the 1397cc and GTL box. At the moment I am looking for a car (went to see few but they were too expensive) and camshaft :(

The 5 speed gearbox will be longer and require some re-engineering of the front mounting on the chassis. it's also aplicated to 4 speed gearbox of lecar(1397)?or it won't be need to cut off anything?

I don't know for sure - someone else might know if the Renault 5 4 speed bellhousing is longer. It is on the 5 speed box. No problem if you have a Renault 4 GTL gearbox - input shaft and bellhousing swap directly with the R5 parts.

The gearbox we have of renault 4 is the 4gearbox of 845engine... witch is a bit different of renault 4 gtl i'm correct?so it woundn't fit!the 5 gearbox of r5 gtl will fit if we have 4 gtl gearbox to change shaft and bellhousing (in this cause it's doesn't require cut the chassis... it was a understand...) the other option is take the 4 gearbox that cames with 1397 engine, and cut the chassis....

oh god... this wouldn't be easy...:)

ok... it seems I have a real problem. Can't seem to escape manicure in the front of the chassis and it seems inevitable to buy another 4 gearbox from the Le car.

hard to change things, no??

after a few hours of reflexion i think i got the soluction.... fit 1397 engine with 4 gearbox of renault 4 gtl.... renault 4l have the 1108 engine, wich has the same lenght of 1397,there for we use 4 gearbox of renault 4 gtl, without cutting of chassis or refit anything else.... i am correct?:)

You guys are real good friends!!! I don't have a 1108 gearbox and I suppose that if I use the 845 4 gearbox with the 1397 I will end up with 4 gears in reverse...

Anyone has a lighter??? I'm beggining to feel a growing need to sell everything and leave the car as it is: 845 cc and 4 gearbox.

Man... it's hard to do something different!! :(

well 4 gearbox in 4l gtl (1108 engine) does around 75mph at 4000rpm... 1397 engine does 5000rpm.... more 1000rpm... wich could do 93mph...

Back