Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wheel bearings

Chris

Enthusiast
Hello everyone!

I need a bit of advice about wheel-bearings. I had my 1983 GTL serviced the other day and she's fine, apart from the fact that she needs new bearings front and back!!

I've already managed to get a set of rear bearings from good old ebay, and now I'm on the hunt for the front ones. The rear ones I got from ebay are apparantly good for Renault 4s, 5s, 6s, etc etc. Does this mean, therefore, that for the front bearings I can just track down a set of Renault 5 ones and they'll fit no problem?? Also, I'm assuming that bearings are bearings and the front ones can be from a different manufacturer than the back ones - is that the case?

I've also been told that my front discs are a little rusty and need replacing, so does anyone know where I can get hold of any?? Oh, and would Renault 5 discs fit the 4GTL???

Any help will be really appreciated!!

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, I have never known any car where the wheel bearings are shot on all four wheels. Are they noisy? Jack one wheel up at a time and spin it to hear if there's any rumbling noise. Only replace what you have to. Mk1 5 front bearings are the same as the 4GTL as are the discs. The discs come up on ebay regularly, but your local motor factor can get them for you easily. You can still get them from Renaults as well. The bearings are not really a DIY job unless you have plenty of equipment, so be ready to part with some money.

Steve

Hi Steve, and thanks for that info.

The bearings are pretty shot on the front off-side and rear near-side wheels, but as the bearings I got for 19 quid off ebay are a pair for the rear, I thought I may as well go the whole hog and do the lot.

Once I've got the necessary parts, my friendly back-street mechanic will do the lot for a very good price, thereby avoiding the £400 quote from my local Renault dealership!!!!

I'll keep you posted,

Chris

Chris, both front and rear bearings on the R4 are industry standard size,so you don't need to ask for a "Renault 4 front bearing kit".You simply remove the bearings from one wheel (two of them),go to your local hardware/bearings store with them and tell them to give you four of them.The front bearings have their inner sides open,without any seal,so you can have a grease reserve between the two bearings. Chances are that the store will not have this type,but the solution is simple, buy two fully sealed ones and remove the seal from one side.Just remember to install the bearings in such a way that the "unsealed" sides face each other at the inner side of the hub.This area should also be filled with high meting point grease,it is important,otherwise you will experience bearing failure soon.Make of bearings does not make any difference, even different makes on the left and right wheels don't matter.What is important is that,both bearings on a wheel must be replaced at the same time, and also,on the rear,bearing cones and cups should never mixed up,replace both cone and cup with a matched set. One more note,reason for front wheel bearing wear on the R4 is mainly wheels out of balance,while on the rear the reason is incorrect adjustment-lubrication.

Angel Hi! i know we had a discussion re.rear-wheel bearings on here some time ago-and I think Roffen heard this it so decided to start making a noise about it
-Inside the rearcompartment every noise gets ampified so much so I took the bearings out today-races still in-situ so am not sure about their sizes. Bearings themselves measures (outer) 20x37,8x15 and (inner) 25x42,9x15 I guess measurements in the pt.catalog is INCLUDED the races right?
so does (outer) 20x42x15 and (inner) 25x47x15 Including races sounds right to you???
Roffens vitals R2106 /R4-F4/-84 country-code 100
I noticed the oil-seal is stamped with 44,7x54x5,5/9,1 plus part# 77 03 087 071 How are oil-seals measured??
Innerdia.x thickness x width or what?
-Right hand inner rear-bearing had some traces of metal-particles on them,not sure wher it's from as it's kind of Brass-coloured-I can't see any sign of wear or damage and to my knowledge theres no brass-parts in there at all????
Wheels/hubs nice and tight with just the Tiniest fraction of free play when wiggled side to side (as should be I guess)
Hope you're all ok down there in Athens c",) -R.

don't know if relevant but if you have same rear-bearings I do
(outer-measurements are 20x42x15 and inner: 25x47x15) they are Qinton Hazell Set No 310 or SNR(French) Set No R155.06 -Snr comes complete with inner/outerbearing+ races,oilseal,oilcup and lock-pin (but No grease) need to get old races removed tomorrow and new one in then ready to Go-go... refreshed underbody/wheel-arces etc with new anti-rust stuff today All looking good but What an awful job it is!! Dirty,Messy,greasy,sweathy and lots of awkward position-but it feels good when done --Much like sex when i come to think of it! c",) R.

bent an old screwdriver (flat) and made a"hook" on it-heated the drum and pulled the oil-seals right off No problem.new races and bearings in by now and silence prevails once again -R.
Edit... Missed the point-I got the oil-seals out without destroying them so could use them again..

Oh and as someone mentions above, the bearings that are not broken don't fix them!

Only do what is necessary, with jobs like this, otherwise you're just replacing something that isn't broken!

I agree to a point pepper,but you can bet your life that if I changed outerbearing/race it would turn up to be inner ones that's had it!
-I checked the old ones after and can't see any damage to bearings or races,hub seemed nicely adjusted too. Anyhoo- noise now gone and all working again...... -R.

I agree to a point pepper,but you can bet your life that if I changed outerbearing/race it would turn up to be inner ones that's had it!
-I checked the old ones after and can't see any damage to bearings or races,hub seemed nicely adjusted too. Anyhoo- noise now gone and all working again...... -R.

i'm sorry i was more responding to the chap above who was going to do all 4 hubs! I'd onlly do the hubs which are noisy. but i'd do all the bearings and seals whilst i'm there

Back