Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wheel is stuck

felixohman

Hi. Out of nowhere the front right wheel of my 1123 1966 is very hard to move in neutral. I first thought it was a stuck brake but it was not as when I put in the parking brake the wheel is obviously impossible to move. The wheel wont turn freely bit is sluggish and takes force to move. If I drive and engage the clutch the car just stops. What can be the cause of this? Is it the brake, or could it be something else? Thanks in advance.

Hi Felixohman, as Leonardo suggests, it could be the bearing. You could also jack up your front wheel, put it on jack stands so there is no danger of the car falling. Then put it in neutral with the handbrake off. Try and force the wheel around by hand or with a long lever. If it is the brake you should be able to hear the friction of the brake shoe. If the brake is not releasing then its probably the brake cylinder which has seized up. When last did you change them? This can happen if you haven't driven your car all winter.

Thank you for the tips. I will jack the car up asap and check the brake and bearings.

My R4 brakes seize on if it's not used, one press down and the piston doesn't retract. It's usually rust in the cylinder.

New seals and a clean up.

Back