Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wheel Nuts!

roodini

Enthusiast
I've recently acquired a set of R5 Gordini wheels and am in need of the wheel nuts to fit them, has anyone any ideas as to where I can get a (cheap) set (12) of wheel nuts.
I've tried motor factors and scrapyards to no avail.

Rudi:)

Funny old things aren't they - very long taper. Alloys are normally centred by the hub and have flat wheelnuts. These are clearly centred by the nuts so have really big tapers to spread the load on the Alloy. Probably used on the R5 only.

Might be worth a wanted ad on Andrew's Renault 5 site http://www.r5gordini.info/xml/ForSale/ForSale.php?Category=4

Otherwise have you tried Renault for prices.

• gordini-wheelnut.jpg
    gordini-wheelnut.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 664
...perhaps I am NUTS...

.........I am using my original wheel nuts on my Gordini wheels...and the wheels havent fallen off ...yet

If anything the studs are a little too short but my 'you'll never get quicker than a quick fit fitter' said they are fine and that if the wheels fell off, it would only be one at a time and I would probably notice a slight problem with steering the car in a straight line - mind you I do have that problem all the time...

• cimg5340 - e.jpg
    cimg5340 - e.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 549
ian Stanbury said:
the wheels havent fallen off ...yet
Sounds like we need a production run. Anyone got a lathe?

Anyway, here's a pic of a standard wheelnut which I think will confirm, when compared to the Gordini wheelnut, that Ian is completely and utterly mad. :eek:

Srew them on tight enough and they'll probably not fall off, but you'd probably get wheel balance problems and might damage the lovely Gordini alloys.

• std-wheelnut.jpg
    std-wheelnut.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 606
I contacted Renault, the price per wheel nut £6.00!!!! That's IF they can locate any.
There must be somebody out there who's got a set that he/she no longer needs?
Well, i'm off to trawl through eBay!

What if I ground off the flat ring at a (roughly) 45 degree angle to emulate the Gordini wheel studs?!
What do you think?

I couldn't find any either - all the aftermarket ones seem to have a 60 degree taper.

If you need to get some made, the taper is 45 degrees, thread size M10, bolt size 17mm, and the shiny face that contacts the wheel is 6mm long. The photo should be good enough to check dimensions.

They look rather like the nuts that 12TS (steel) 'sports' wheels had in shape....but my memory might be playing tricks on me of course.

Adrian T. said:
They look rather like the nuts that 12TS (steel) 'sports' wheels had in shape....but my memory might be playing tricks on me of course.

No they are not the same as the chrome domed 12TS nuts, they also have the stepped (tapered and flat) face of the stock R4 wheel nuts.

Back