Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wheelarch Liners

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
I live at the end of a muddy farm track and I've been meaning to get around to getting rid of rust traps like this for ages.

mud.jpg

With the Gordini sitting around with an engine in bits I've made a start.

wheelarch-liner-finished-large.jpg

It's only a MK1 version, but I can collect data (and mud) very quickly on our driveway and should soon be able to develop it into a Mk2 which doesn't flop onto the exhaust as soon as it gets hot. If I also develop the exhaust I should be able to add mud flaps.

rear-liner-front-large.jpg

The liners will hopefully protect the wing seams and that pesky outer rear suspension mounting, both of which are a pain to repair. Might be some scope to add something which would protect the inner rear suspension mounting too and create a zero rust Renault 4.

rear-liner-rear-large.jpg

I've noticed the box section under the rear of the boot floor can also rust a bit (poor Ermintrude has been crumbling back there) so I've extended the rear liner backwards to cover that.

From here it will be try and see. I suspect I will have heat problems from the exhaust and need to redesign. Hopefully I'll end up with a system that might have saved Ermintrude from tattyness had I come up with it 7 years ago, but should give the Gordini a good start in life. Slightly more here.

this looks like a wonderful idea - will you be updating when it reaches the final version?
Then some measurement templates would be useful for us dummies who dont have your time, skill or patience!

well done Malcolm not sure if seeing all this creativity inspires us all or makes one depressed looking at our own projects lack of progress

notice my theory on modding hubs to use early rims with disc brakes works ok

Good idea Malcolm! -I am thinking along same path,but thought I'd use thin aluminium on which I would pop-rivet rubber-strips on to each side to get a fairly tight connection to inner-wing without the rubbing against it... Much like the old Lokari-system
-I like your design for the rear-wheel suspension..I've seen this very delicate spot covered by a 10-12cm section of bald rubber-tire which seemed pretty effective, but yours is definately neater looking..
What kind of material are you using-Plexi/Lexan/PVC/ABS ?? -R.

The hub modification worked well - there's clearance between the Bendix callipers and the early wheels.

The liners are ABS - a very nice material to work with. I've bought edge seals which just fit over the edge of the liners. Should be interesting to see if they work. The engine is back together (not started yet) but I still need to finish the last liner.

Do you use heat to get them into shape Malcolm? I'm looking into my rearwheel-arches first as they are easily accessable and simple shape too and also the most noticeable noise is from my rear-wheels due a very boxy-shape I guess. keep us informed! Also could use some piccies of your exhaust-system as this will be my next big project.Hate to get rid of the under-wing exhaust-pot but thinks it will be esier if I do locate it further back-As long as I can maintain my side-outlet I guess it's ok... -R.

The ABS sheets for the front are flat - they bend easily into the shape of the wheelarch. At the rear I've used a heat gun to form the shape around the suspension mounting and for the tight bends at the back. Some pictures of the exhaust here: http://www.renault4.co.uk/gordini-exhaust.htm

After a run down to the village this afternoon the exhaust was very hot to the touch, but the liner above was only warm. Fair enough it has been very windy today, but it's a promising sign.

:hug: Hi Malcolm,
very interesting idea to "modernize" our lovelies R4 and avoid rust problem. If you tell us that it works well I'll certainly try to make the same parts...

Malcolm - what thickness are the abs sheets you use? 2mm?

Can you suggest some good suppliers and sheet sizes to ask for?

thanks!

I used the black Smooth 2mm ABS 1600x1080 from Eagle Plastics. 2 sheets would do 4 liners. Edge seals I bought from car builder solutions. It takes 11m for 4 liners. I went for #TRME, but would have been better with #TRME2.

I don't know if they work properly yet or whether they will fall off or cause mud traps, and I've not tried a standard GTL yet. In due course I should be able to add more info about these things.

Malcolm - just been on to Eagle Plastics to order abs. But, telling the rep what use I intended, he advised against, saying the material would become more brittle in cold weather and would tend to damage/crack/split.

He did mention a material called Foamalite - which I will look up - and I will also look at rubber sheeting.

We'll get there!

Wheelarch liners on modern cars are normally made from ABS. That's why I chose the material. According to wiki it's useful from -40 to 100 °C.

Rubber sheeting would be difficult to support. I've never come across Foamalite, though it appears to be a PVC foam

richard

templates of wing liners when tested & proven a very positive & valuable notion-a modest charge for these,of course-very resourseful pioneering,I reckon!

Oddly enough I was fiddling with them this afternoon. The MK2 front liners now incorporate mud flaps. Still to test them properly on the road - the Gordini engine is still in bits.

I'll get a much better idea if they are any good trying them on the GTL. That would have the added advantage of hiding a couple of rusty buts from the MOT man.

Malcolm, where did you source your plastic wheel arch clips from for your liners?

And I am about to order my edge seals - but they're not cheap! Would you strongly recommend #TRM2 over the seals you used?

I'd hang fire a bit if I were anyone else. I'll get the things sorted before the winter mud problems and am nearing a Mk3 version. I'll post Mk4 dimensions at some point in return for generous donations towards my (very expensive) beer fund. Those things have taken up a good couple of weeks in time so far.

You'll need to do something about the exhaust on the GTL - the routing is a carry over from the earlier cars and tales up more space in the wheelarch than my liners would allow.

The larger (and more expensive) edge seals might allow more tolerance - my liners need to be shaped around the panel swaging but that makes the shape difficult to reproduce. I'll try the bigger seal on my GTL to see if that can take up the tolerance and make things simpler.

Fasteners came from eBay. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wheel-Arch-Lining-Splashguard-Trim-Clips-Nissan-Honda-/280477161315

Back