Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wiper motor

lazyduck15

Enthusiast
Hello everybody!! :)

Here I am again in need of help. My wiper motor does not work, just makes a "click" when receives power on any of both wires.
I have opened it and found that the click comes from a moving part on the right side of the motor (see picture attached), After some cleaning of the collector and spring replace, the motor spins a few degrees but that is all.
At the same time it can be seen a tiny spark on one of the carbons (Is that the name?) were it touches the collector (Left side).
To me, the rotor seems to be too close to the frame (Left side) even tough it does not shows signs of a rubbing zone, is it normal?. Does it need a stronger spring or new carbons or ????. :confused:

• DSCN0440.jpg
    DSCN0440.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCN0429.jpg
    DSCN0429.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 175
I can see from the photo that the tension spring for the brushes is hooked directly on both of them. This is wrong, as it will make a short-circuit and won't allow current to reach the collector. One end of the spring was originally connected to the brush by a little plastic hook to prevent this happening, and that's what you must try to do (I use a small zip-tie).

The whole right part (as on your photo) of the stator pivots so as to contact the armature when the wipers reach the park position, and act as a brake so they stop moving immediately. So don't be surprised if you see these parts touching each other at rest.
I can't remember exactly how this "brake" is released (I think by electromagnetic force?). Check that it pivots freely, and also that the collector is clean. Your brushes are OK, no need to replace them.

Should check the spindles that the wiper arms are attached to are not seized. They normally come free with a lot of heat but if they are seized they will stop the motor from turning.

Angel, Malcom & Clementine the cat!

Thanks a lot for your prompt response. Actually I have noticed such pivoting part, moved by an electromagnetic mechanism. You can see it at the bottom of the picture. I will isolate the brushes as suggested.
On the other part, I wiil check if arms are seized. They feel a bit hard to move. Actually they haven't move since I purchased the car back in 2007 and who knows since when were they not moving for the previous owner.

Regards from Mexico City :)

I have disassembled the whole thing today and tested for the arms mechanism seizing and they were not. So I tested the motor without it and It didn't work,
I went further away and unhook the rotor. Found some greasy dirt, tested the gear reducer, and It was working properly, I mean, not seized.
After that, oiled the pinion which looked a bit dry and tested the motor again. It did a better effort to start spinning with no success. So I put a little bit more pressure on the brushes with my fingers and Worked!!!!!!! :o
So, the issue is fixed. I will install a stronger spring ensured that it is well isolated from the positive side of the brushes. The whole mechanism has been lubricated.

Thanks a lot Angel and Malcolm. Have a nice day :)

• DSCN0444.jpg
    DSCN0444.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN0446.jpg
    DSCN0446.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 104
Hi, I have a similar problem on my wiper motor for my -73 R4 I'm working on. Trying to get it ready for the MOT and a Winter ralley here in Northern Sweden.
I have it (the motor) on my table now, and as far as I can see things look ok.
How can I test this to see if it's working?
i have a 12v battery on my workdesk, but didn't get it to spin, only get sparks when trying. (Didn't get me the best of feelings ;-). )

I have removed the rotor and the gears on the back side looks to be in very good condition as well. Where can the faulty part be, or is it just my lack of electronical skill that is messing with me?

Thank you,
/Regards, Peterimage.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

When I turn the wiper switch on low speed motor have interrupts and this are the symptoms: friction and vibration.
On high speed motor going fast - ok.
someone can answer?

• wiper motor type.JPG
    wiper motor type.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 4
I have disassembled the whole thing today and tested for the arms mechanism seizing and they were not. So I tested the motor without it and It didn't work,
I went further away and unhook the rotor. Found some greasy dirt, tested the gear reducer, and It was working properly, I mean, not seized.
After that, oiled the pinion which looked a bit dry and tested the motor again. It did a better effort to start spinning with no success. So I put a little bit more pressure on the brushes with my fingers and Worked!!!!!!! :o
So, the issue is fixed. I will install a stronger spring ensured that it is well isolated from the positive side of the brushes. The whole mechanism has been lubricated.

Thanks a lot Angel and Malcolm. Have a nice day :)
How fantastic this forum is, for all us Renault 4 owners around the world; enabling us to fix and keep our precious cars running. Bravo!

Back