Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Wood you believe it?

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Having a tidy up this weekend and burning lots of old rotten wood. Didn't seem sensible that the R4 could carry bits of wood much longer than itself with just the rear seats down.

So while we wen't being sensible we went Renault 4 surfing.

Did end up a little low at the back at one point, so Yvette is now offered for sale without a reversing light.

• wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 72
  • wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 73
  • wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 73
I've thought of a serious technical question I've always wanted to ask.

On all of my R4s past and present the tailgate has a habit of falling on my head whenever I sit on the boot floor to eat my sandwiches. I've noticed the very early cars have tailgates that stay up and need the stay pulling backwards in order to close the tailgate.

Yvette must have one of the early tailgates as the stay needs a pull to close. It's very handy when driving around with the tailgate open, but less handy when going to the supermarket. Is it just adjustment, or was there a change to the tailgate stay in about 1968? If so Yvette will be sold with a faulty tailgate stay also.

On all of my R4s past and present the tailgate has a habit of falling on my head whenever I sit on the boot floor to eat my sandwiches. I've noticed the very early cars have tailgates that stay up and need the stay pulling backwards in order to close the tailgate.

Tell me about it. I went to buy a sack of cement and I was helping the guy to load it, we kind of threw it in and the tailgate came down. Since I am taller then he is I got smacked on my head.

Tailpipe smoke is genuine R4, but the smoke from the roof is from the bonfire.

I'll bet the tailgate stay can be adjusted. The holes are quite long. I was forever banging my head against Florence the Renault4's boot lid, Yvette's lid won't close without pulling the stay, and Ermintrude will close but doesn't hit me on the head with a little movement. Though I can't see which way the stay would need to be adjusted. Going to have to fiddle.

Back