Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Worrying situation

Cili

Enthusiast
Time ago I realized that some transmission oil was leaking from point where the tachometer's cable dives in the upper plate of the gearbox. The mechanician who serves me, after a - short? long? who can tell? - research said it wasn't possibile to find the broken part. For a few months I've ignored the problem but now, probably because of the temperature raising, the drawback is getting worse. If the impossibility to find the part new is unanswerable, what it's possible to do to solve the problem?
Thanks all.

Hi Cili, you don't mention the make of your car!

You should be able to remove the tacho drive housing from the gearbox.

You should then be able to renew the seal. If you can't find a replacement seal; make one fit!! PTFE (plumbers tape) or gasket glue (Hylomar or equivalent) or even wrapping string around it may work!

Sorry, you're right :? .
My R4 is a TL model, year 1990 (and it's red, if it matters :)
Thanks for the reply.
One only thing: I have to twist off or pull the connector? On one side there's a bolt and the holder of the cable into the gear box seems to be of white plastic.

Cili, loosen the little bolt (looks like 10mm) then pull the cable and the housing away from the gearbox. You may have to move it from side to side in order to loosen it.

I'm not sure but maybe there is a rubber sealing ring around the housing. If there is take it off and take it to your nearest hardware store (ferreteria?) and match up a new ring.

If this doesn't help then put it back, clean the area with de-greasant and apply a layer of (I don't know what you call it there) mastic (silicone sealant) around the area and let it cure. That should fix your leak!

That area where the speedo cable goes in is often full of congealed dirt and oil. Do clean and degrease the area thoroughly and use an airline to blow off any grit before dimantling. This prevents any grit getting into the gearbox.

Steve

Hi Cili! One more suggestion: It is very rare to have an oil leak from the speedo cable seal because it is located higher than the oil level. First check that the oil level is OK (oil just overflowing from the plug at the gearbox side, car on level ground). Check also the gearbox breather, it is located very close to the speedo cable. It should be clear, and as you say that the problem exists on hot days, it may be clogged with muck, so pressure rises inside the gearbox forcing oil out of the seals.

I can't locate the gearbox breather. Where is it? On the upper side or the flank of the gearbox?
In my case, the oil seems to filter from the metal rings around the speedmeter cable. I degreased them and the white plastic base and put some glue on as over suggested and the leak now is trifling. It could be more a residual of oil and less a real loss. Or so I hope :lol:

I totally agree with angel, either the oil level is too high or temp is rising too much....
It should not spit out (much) oil even without the speedo cable attached...
If oil level is too high and you manage it to seal the gearbox, I think it is possible to blow the gasket or damage the cover. It needs the correct ammount of air to absorb the pressure changes and allow for normal oil flow.
my :2cents:

The car is a 1990 TL. You can only put oil in from the filler plug on the side so it would be difficult to make the level too high.

Normally gearboxes do have a breather. Breathers let air out while trapping oil. I had a look for one on my gearbox and couldn't find it. I'm guessing Renault assumed the box would leak air faster than the air pressure could build up with temperature.

Certainly most R4s have a covering of gearbox oil on top of the casing. I've never seen one that doesn't leak. I'd guess that's why.

for Enrique:
Something is wrong, in that argument IMO. Why the gearbox is leaking only now and not the last summer (the temperature then wasn't lower at all)? If was because of the pressure caused by the temperature there could be an ever lasting leak, even in a brend new car. But I haven't had any problem like this before.

for Clementine:
1- yes, it's possible to put oil in from the filler plug on the side
2 - true, my R4 have a covering of gearbox oil on top of the casing
3 - I couldn't find the gearbox breather too

So, which is the conclusion?

Thank you very much for your replies and suggestions.

Guys: You're completely right about overfilling from the side, but I can still think of a couple of ways of overfilling. You see some things with some mechanics. But following that idea, you can rule out overfilling, by removing the filler plug and watching if something comes out.
I know from experience that the 354 (HA0?) and the HA1 gearboxes do not spit out oil even when the tacho cable is not attached (hole is open). Maybe that box is different ¿?
As to the temperature you're completely right about that too, but I believe that if the gearbox and the engine are working right, it can be the hottest of all days and it will still not overheat.
On the other hand, if you're racing your car and aplying a lot of power or something is wrong inside the gearbox, then it may overheat even on a cool day.

There's one thing I don't agree with! Not all R4s have the gearbox covered with oil :wink:

Cheers,
Enrique

A very easy way to overfill: Fill the gearbox with the car tilting to the left. That's why all manuals say again and again "the car should stand on level ground".Anyway, I still suspect the breather. It looks like a small cap,don't try to find a tube, it is actually a tube with a small cap over it. Muck gets between the orifice and the cap and clogs it.It is located on the top of the front cover exactly where the arrow on the photo points. I could not find a better way, you have also the chance to take a look on my '75 R4s engine back in September 2002...

breather_191.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks very much for the new reply and the pic. Even though the engine of my R4 looks a bit different (for es. the radiator is much more ahead exactly as the battery) it's very helpful to identify the breather location.

Back