Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

wrong fuel

billythefish

Enthusiast
Today while shopping I decided to fill my car up with petrol and (god knows how )but I managed to put about a bout half a cup of diesel in before I realised my stupid mistake, any how a young mechanic who was also at the filling station advised me to fill up the tank to the top with petrol as my tank was only holding around a gallon and a half at the time, he reckons that after using around three gallons to keep filling up to dilute the diesel which in time will work its way through the system without any adverse affects, what do you think guys?
billy

Yeah it'll be fine, a little diesel in a petrol car won't be too bad, its putting Petrol in Diesel cars that can be fatal for the pump!

How far have you driven it since?

A Renault 4 on a carburettor is far more tolerant than most modern cars.

Hi Pepper,
Sorry about the misunderstanding it was my sons Fiat Seicento ( who is away on holiday for two weeks ) that I accidentally filled with the wrong fuel, it wasn't my R4 thank the lord!
I've only driven it about six or seven mile, would I be better taking it for a long run or not?

take it for a nice long run and top it up on the way home.

I remember my friend owned an Ambassador for years and once he did similar with half a tank of fuel, he just topped it up with Petrol and carried on, it smoked a little but ran just fine, SU's are great carbs!

If it's a cup full you'll notice no difference even with a Fiat Seicento. If it were half a tank full it would be worth going for a run to get rid of the smoke, but I'd not worry about about a small bit. A cup of diesel is better than putting supermarket fuel in.

Back