Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Zenith Carb Help

NickHay

Enthusiast
Hi everyone. So I have a Zenith in my 79 which is clearly being a pain, it really needs a rebuild or replacement I think. In fact I'm actually scared to try start it again because its throwing fuel everywhere and might be a fire risk. So my questions to the more knowledgeable of you ... Is there a good recommendation for a carb rebuild in the UK or should I purchase a more modern carb? Thank you in advance

Hi everyone. So I have a Zenith in my 79 which is clearly being a pain, it really needs a rebuild or replacement I think. In fact I'm actually scared to try start it again because its throwing fuel everywhere and might be a fire risk. So my questions to the more knowledgeable of you ... Is there a good recommendation for a carb rebuild in the UK or should I purchase a more modern carb? Thank you in advance
If you don't feel confident about rebuilding it yourself, you could get in touch with this company - not far from you!

If you do take the top of the carb off to investigate. The other thing to check for is whether the plastic float in the float chamber moves freely in the cast slots in the carb body. I had a couple of instances recently with massive flooding on startup after it had been left for a while (I had previously renewed and set the needle valve). I found that the plastic float had distorted slightly (with age/fuel?) so that the pins on float that run in the body didnt run freely & could stick. I carefully cleaned up the pins with some fine wet/dry paper until it moved cleanly. Not had the problem repeat since.

If you do take the top of the carb off to investigate. The other thing to check for is whether the plastic float in the float chamber moves freely in the cast slots in the carb body. I had a couple of instances recently with massive flooding on startup after it had been left for a while (I had previously renewed and set the needle valve). I found that the plastic float had distorted slightly (with age/fuel?) so that the pins on float that run in the body didnt run freely & could stick. I carefully cleaned up the pins with some fine wet/dry paper until it moved cleanly. Not had the problem repeat since.
Thank you

The " hanging"of the float happened to me too. It was because of using E10 petrol.
Had to rework the float " axle" a bit. And all is still well. I use 95 E10 weekly for almost 3 years now. Only had to fix the float once.

Back