Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Changing an R4 headlight bulb

edwin

Enthusiast
Hi. I am trying to change the headlight bulb on my '85 R4 TL. There is a black plastic "bin" on the inside of the headlight assembly, with a rubber bung on the side with the wires passing through it into the light. The black plastic bin will slide round, but I can't see a way of getting into the back of the light to change the bulb. I don't want to use brute force on the plastic bin, for fear of breaking something. I expect that there is a technique to getting the bin off and that one of you kind gentlemen might be able to explain into me. Or maybe you get the bung out and re bulb through that small orifice ? Thanks Edwin

Hi Edwin, lever it off with a small flat screwdriver or other suitable tool.

Hi Edwin it's really simple. Grab the 'bin' and pull it off. Using a screwdriver will damage the edge. The 'bin' will simply snap on and off. Revealing the bulb holder behind

Jonathan of course it won't damage the cover, don't be silly.:laughing:

Well gentlemen, thank you for your advice and I will go for it ! I will let you know how I do. Edwin

Well gentlemen, thank you for your advice and I will go for it ! I will let you know how I do. Edwin
Thank you all for your help. It was a successful mission. Getting the plastic bin off was a bit of a challenge. I grabbed it and it came off suddenly and when it finally gave I broke off the back of the incumbent light bulb, fortunately not breaking fitting or wires. I then replaced bulb with one from blue car pics in "Rolling Shell" above, and now all is well and i am dipping with the best. Thanks. At the same time refitted one piece ceiling, but with hi tech insulation above to hopefully reduce the solar gain through the roof. Will keep you in touch about its success. Edwin

Back