Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Headlight Upgrade

Can't think why sidelamp inside headlamp would be a good idea unless you had a really old 4 with orange indicators
Once headlamps on you wouldn't notice them any way and no one uses sidelamp except at mot time surely
You can get yellow bulbs or lens caps but looks good but not for twisty country lanes in the dark

There are some new Cibies in the Netherlands with the LHD to RHD switch and holes for the sidelights. http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/headlights-for-renault-4-import.7068/#post-43153
http://www.r-quatre.nl/

I'm running the cheaper Franzose lights in mine and the beam pattern is rubbish. I might one day change them for Cibie lights.

These Cibies were fitted to early Daf cars & too. As well as saving the manufacturer the cost of making two types of headlight, they're handy if you go driving on the continent! A good beam pattern does help when driving at night, as you don't want to dazzle other drivers!

Can't think why sidelamp inside headlamp would be a good idea unless you had a really old 4 with orange indicators
Once headlamps on you wouldn't notice them any way and no one uses sidelamp except at mot time surely
You can get yellow bulbs or lens caps but looks good but not for twisty country lanes in the dark

Hi Paul
Have had them on my Lancia's, the Imp and going on the Husky too.
Personal preference on my part that is all.:doh::)

I agree with Paul that yellow bulbs are not so good for the amount of light output but the reason that the French government insisted on it for decades is that apparently this particular shade of yellow enhances the eyes ability to pick out shapes on the dark.

I'm not sure how true that is but I like the French yellow headlights look on my cars so I compromise with 55/60w halogens with yellow glass covers: They're not quite as bright as white halogens but they are brighter than the original white tungsten bulbs.

I don't bother selling the bulbs with the 3-prong P43t base because you can get them easily elsewhere. I only sell the round P45t ("410-fitting") base ones: white tungsten £2 each, yellow tungsten £2.50 ea, white halogen £3 ea, yellow halogen £5.95 ea.
(I think mine is the only French car parts website that sells P45t yellow halogens. Most only offer the 3-pronged P43t).

I agree with Paul that yellow bulbs are not so good for the amount of light output but the reason that the French government insisted on it for decades is that apparently this particular shade of yellow enhances the eyes ability to pick out shapes on the dark.

I'm not sure how true that is but I like the French yellow headlights look on my cars so I compromise with 55/60w halogens with yellow glass covers: They're not quite as bright as white halogens but they are brighter than the original white tungsten bulbs.

I don't bother selling the bulbs with the 3-prong P43t base because you can get them easily elsewhere. I only sell the round P45t ("410-fitting") base ones: white tungsten £2 each, yellow tungsten £2.50 ea, white halogen £3 ea, yellow halogen £5.95 ea.
(I think mine is the only French car parts website that sells P45t yellow halogens. Most only offer the 3-pronged P43t).

I like the look of yellow headlights.
The points you make are very interesting.
Noted if I go that route, still undecided.

i think it depends on what you like, i found the yellow ones a are better in the fog and mist ( we have quite a bit where we are ) to the normal
ones and yes they are not as good on country roads, so i fitted 2 driving lamps which work very well and gives me the best of both.IMG_0198.JPG

Thanks, but that's just part of it :laughing:.
And in a couple of months i hope to start the other F6.

I can easily find round base P45 100/80W bulbs here, and I use them in accordance with a headlight relay. With Cibie headlights in good condition, lighting is excellent even with modern car standards.

I can easily find round base P45 100/80W bulbs here, and I use them in accordance with a headlight relay. With Cibie headlights in good condition, lighting is excellent even with modern car standards.
My understanding of UK regulations is that 100 / 80W bulbs are only legal off-road.

Ah OK, didn't know that UK regulations prohibit the use of such bulbs.

I have on my Savane a pair of H5 bulbs 55/60W with yellow caps on it.
I think i'll buy the rings to adapt the H4 because in my opinion the yellow caps doesn't allow the lamp to illuminate all the parabola and on the market I can find only yellow bulbs with H4 socket.
For the power consuption problem I delevoped a plug and play solid state circuit to mount on each headlight that provides the same effect of a relay, so the flasher switch is safe!

Does anyone have experience with 60W H4 bulbs, without a relay, on GTL?
My older hybrid GTL '82, and his swith, handle a high current that is required for the H4 without electricals problem.

No problem at all for the switch when going from 45/40 to 60/55 watts bulbs.
You're probably right, but of you want to reduce current losses in the switches and possible heating of the wiring the relays would help. The switches are then only handling a small amount of current, enough to power the relay, and thicker wiring can be used to deliver the power to the bulbs, thus giving a brighter light and reducing heat losses through the wires.

Back