Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Headlight Upgrade

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Forgive a newbie question.
Has anyone done a conversion with a standard 7" bowl and Cibie H4 bulbs to replace the Renault headlights please.
Any comments appreciated.

You don't need to convert the standard bowl, as your motor factor should be able to supply a 60/55 watt halogen bulb with a standard 55/50 watt bulb fitting. These bulbs are numbered P43 (I think) and put a marginal extra loading on your wiring, but not enough to cause any problems.

Any further help-just PM me!

Hi there
Thanks for that information. Am aware of the P43 bulbs.
Happen to have 2 Wipac 7" headlamp bowls and Cibie H4 + sidelight on the shelf in the garage.
Regards

You don't need to convert the standard bowl, as your motor factor should be able to supply a 60/55 watt halogen bulb with a standard 55/50 watt bulb fitting. These bulbs are numbered P43 (I think) and put a marginal extra loading on your wiring, but not enough to cause any problems.

Any further help-just PM me!

Don't know if it is the same, but h5 has the same r2 housing with more watts...
Is however a good idea to install a couple of ralais in order to protect wirings and switches...

I think I am going to examine the headlights once I collect the car tomorrow and decide how to proceed.
As a matter of principle I always use a separate fuse and relay for main and dipped headlights. Bit belt and braces it may seem, but have done it for all my previous / present classics.
No problems at all for switches then.

I think I am going to examine the headlights once I collect the car tomorrow and decide how to proceed.
As a matter of principle I always use a separate fuse and relay for main and dipped headlights. Bit belt and braces it may seem, but have done it for all my previous / present classics.
No problems at all for switches then.

Yes, you're right! Fuses are best for safety & relays ARE better and prevent power losses too. I stand corrected....

As I said above belt and braces maybe but.
Work in progress on my Husky wiring

Dynamo to alternator; +ve to -ve earth; feed through Lucas 4FJ fusebox with 35amp glass fuses provides 10 outlets which can be separately fused to suit application. Usually a relay used for each application too. Vehicle Wiring Products always know when I am doing a project!!:clapping:

As I said above belt and braces maybe but.
Work in progress on my Husky wiring

Dynamo to alternator; +ve to -ve earth; feed through Lucas 4FJ fusebox with 35amp glass fuses provides 10 outlets which can be separately fused to suit application. Usually a relay used for each application too. Vehicle Wiring Products always know when I am doing a project!!:clapping:

Hillman Husky???? RARE!!! More pictures, please! I love light commercials!

That seems like a very expensive option. The correct round-base bulbs are much cheaper than those adapters.

Measured against ease of finding 472 bulbs 3 prong type at higher wattage seems fair price to me
The 410 single notch bulbs are not stock items in most normal parts suppliers

Am I correct in thinking that 410 bulbs are only available in 45W / 40w configuration?
To me the 60W / 55W must be a better light provided wiring can take it OK.
Surely this is where use of a relay with slightly modified wiring can take of any concerns on this score?

Measured against ease of finding 472 bulbs 3 prong type at higher wattage seems fair price to me
The 410 single notch bulbs are not stock items in most normal parts suppliers
Am I correct in thinking that 410 bulbs are only available in 45W / 40w configuration?
To me the 60W / 55W must be a better light.........

I stock 410 tungsten (40/45w) bulbs plus the halogen (55/60w) equivalents. Choice of white or yellow (French style!). I did have a few 80/100w white ones too but I think they've all gone now.

Gentleman
I have a personal preference to have a sidelight within the headlamp in addition to the sidelight / indicators lamp. Put it down to 'old gaffer' preference.:whistle:
I have reviewed the excellent article within the site regarding converting LHD to RHD configuration.
I have a question as to whether it is an UK MOT requirement that headlamps are E approved or not?
Having looked at the very excellent De Franoze site they do 2 headlamps the cheaper repro at 36 euros and the Renault ones at 90 euros each.
neither appear to have an E marking.
Can anyone throw some light on this subject please? Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Ah ha... (puts M.O.T. tester's hat ON) strictly speaking the headlight units should have the "E" symbol on them, but ensuring the headlights meet "E.U." standards is normally a requirement dealt with by the manufacturer of the vehicle. Most M.O.T. testers will check the lights for brightness and beam angle & pattern. If they're satisfied on these they'll pass them. They'll only start looking for "E" letters on the glass if there's problem with the beam pattern or something is obviously amiss. (takes M.O.T. tester's hat OFF)

By the way, yellow headlights (for that quintessential "French" look) ARE legal, honestly! I've loads, if you want some!

Ah ha... (puts M.O.T. tester's hat ON) strictly speaking the headlight units should have the "E" symbol on them, but ensuring the headlights meet "E.U." standards is normally a requirement dealt with by the manufacturer of the vehicle. Most M.O.T. testers will check the lights for brightness and beam angle & pattern. If they're satisfied on these they'll pass them. They'll only start looking for "E" letters on the glass if there's problem with the beam pattern or something is obviously amiss. (takes M.O.T. tester's hat OFF)

By the way, yellow headlights (for that quintessential "French" look) ARE legal, honestly! I've loads, if you want some!

Hi
Thank you for the hats on / hats off. As I thought.
I am interested in yellow headlights. How much for a pair?
Regards
Tom

Back