Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

My R4 nostalgia trip

Left and right hand drive different renault used to supply a kit of inner outer and a handful of fittings to make your own as there are loads depending on carb
Me I used to go to bicycle shop and use derailleur gear cable and make my own using the electrical block screw connecter inner metal piece to make a fitting for other end

Hmm looking at it a bit closer, I may get away with just fitting a new outer & properly attaching the spring end part to the fixed bracket

Last night, after setting the tappets & changing oil & filter the car was started (sounds sweet!) & warmed up fully to see if it would now idle off choke (its previous refusal to was reason for carb strip-down).

Good news, it will now idle off choke!

Less good news, it is hunting at idle, so I need to check a few more things!

Although slow, I do feel that I'm gradually getting closer to a point of being able to submit it for MOT & then get registered in UK.

This weekend will be all about wiring in the rear foglight & stripping, cleaning & adjusting the brakes, degreasing & jetwashing under each wheel arch along with the liberal application of anti-corrosion wax to chassis & body-shell nooks & crannies.

Time to fettle the R4 has been scarce of late, although I managed to steal a couple of hours over the weekend to finish wiring in the rear foglight (it works!) along with filling the engine with some diesel flushing treatment & running it at fast idle for 40 minutes, which has resulted in most of the oil deposits around the rockers being dissolved & washed away. Drained the red hot oil out again (changed it when I first got the car & with limited running has quickly done its job & turned black!) which was properly black by then & left it to drain overnight. I've removed the filter too but have yet to fit new one as I've also removed the fuel pump as it appears to be failing with sporadic outputs. New one en route from Die Franzosich & it's easier to fit with the oil filter out of the way.

Headlights are part way through being converted to RHD, thanks to Malcolm's guide on here, to finish off tonight.

So, once fuel pump arrives, not much left to do before the dreaded MOT time! Gulp

Discovered that o/s track-rod end had an extremely perished looking gaiter, so shiny news one have arrived from that amazing Ebay

me being pessimistic will tell you a story a friend has been restoring a Morris Minor fitted to brand new rack gaiters 2 years ago they are now perished and useless the car hasn't even been on the Road yet

Erm, just realized that the battery securing straps are missing from this car of mine - anyone used anything different to secure theirs?

If you fit the correct 048 battery it has a lip at the bottom which enables you to use the correct clamp to secure it if however you are not a stickler for originality then cable ties bungee straps or dexion

Not sure of its got whole kit but has got the bit you needed few weeks back
It turned up amongst this lot I've been sorting through
20 years I've been getting round to it received_10153542645515049.jpegreceived_10153543811410049.jpeg

Blimey, quite a stash there Paul! If you come across a dizzy cap for the larger Ducellier dizzy, I'll buy one off you?

Right, update time! Finally got a full day in on the R4 this weekend & stripped cleaned & adjusted front brakes. Drums did not want to come off but found 2 M6 bolts to screw through the threaded holes & along with judicious copper hammer usage, both were persuaded to release their hold on the hubs.

Everything looked good inside, no leaky cylinders & shoes looked fairly new. Cleaned up & adjusted.

Then siphoned most of the old brake fluid out of the master cylinder, replaced with new & then flushed system until fluid nice & clear.

Bit of a heart in mouth moment with one of the bleed nipples but all good in the end.

Fitted 4 new 155/70 13 tyres bought via Tyre Shopper & happy with the look of the slightly wider tyres on the painted rims.

Finally & most importantly I fitted the Aldon electronic ignition kit & after the fuel pumped though the car fired up & idled beautifully once warm.

The 'splashy' idle has gone & its transformed the engine idle & response.

Very happy!

So just gearbox oil change to do, clean & refit rear seat belts & figure out why foot screen washer thingummy is not working.

Then MOT time, gulp!

Back