Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1992 LHD TL Drive Shaft Split Gaiter

beagle

Enthusiastic amateur
While changing my brake discs I somehow managed to damage the rubber UJ gaiter.:eek:

Furthermore, after removing the hub nut I noticed sections of the thread were slightly chewed.

Basically I want to replace the drive shaft and change the wheel bearings (sand blew into the grease). Replacing the gaiter looks quite tricky. And probably isn't wise given the iffy thread.

What are the differences in R4 drive shafts? is there a difference between TL and GTL? RHD and LHD?

And most importantly does anyone have one for sale?? I can collect easily in the Midland / southern area.

• IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 246
Everything after 1973 is the same, be it R4, R5 Mk1 or R6, left or right side. So you will have no problem finding one.

The outer gaiter is rather tricky to replace, as you guessed. It can be done from the gearbox end of the driveshaft after first removing that UJ.

I have a home made cone device for putting drive shaft gaiters on - makes it quite easy to do after taking the outer joint apart which isn't too bad (Note to self and others!: Invert the gaiter and pull it down the cone!)

How bad is the thread is the portion where the nut normally sits when done up damaged ?

Thanks a lot for the replys guys. Much appreciated.

The drive shaft also "bowed" slightly off centre when rotated. It might have had a knock in the past, as the front outrigger is a bit bent on this side. It's a good opportunity to put my mind to rest and get a new one.

I'll put a post the the relevant "Parts Wanted" section.

I just need to split the stubborn ball joints and extract the drive shaft now....

Thanks again

A question to alewis: Did you dismantle the outer joint by prising off the "star" spring steel piece that holds the two parts together? How did you manage to put it back afterwards?

That is what I did, once it was apart it was really easy to clean which was nice.

When putting it back together (I did both sides as they both had gone)

(The clip is 3 sided)

Angle the drive shaft over to one side
The first side can be clipped into place quite easily.
The second side can the be clipped in a bit using a screw driver to lever it up.
The third side can then be clipped in by angling the joint over the other way.

(then the joint can be wobbled to get them all to seat down nicely)

(Also my dad did it many years ago and he used a cheap screw driver which he made a notch in the end to help him - probably a good idea but I couldn't get on with it)

Hope this helps, give me a shout if any assistance is ever required.

Regards
Andrew

Thanks for the cv boot advice, maybe not such a struggle as I originally thought. However one ring of thread on the hub nut section is damaged and the shaft is slightly bowed so I think I'll still look for a replacement.

Cheers

Back