Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

2nd Sept '07 - R4s at Santa Pod

There aren't really any rules in the SlowCarClub. Prizes can be awarded for effort or bringing a really daft car along, or just for those who make the day more fun. Come to think of it I've never actually got around to organising actual prizes. Everyone is welcome to come along.
I have a really fabulous prize to present to the lucky winner at the Slow Car Club event. I hope the record numbers of people that have been on the forum recently will come to Santa Pod.

Can Professor Stanbury please present a thesis about why everybody is on the forum instead of being out in the garage busy doing up their R4s for the event? :wink:

..My The...sis...

...I suspect everyone including Mighty M and I just have too many Renault 4's and deciding which of the 'pod' to take to the Slow Car Club event is quite hypermetadifficile.

So, here is the test which of these should I take?

..and Bluebell, I am pleased to report that I have recently been promoted, no longer Professor, but now Field Marshall - Check you Southern Burgundy guest book for proof!!

Now good news, I have got my tent and blow up doll to sleep on but is the 'BBQ evening' before the big event definitely on and what time are the runners and riders expected to muster at Paradiseland?

• Ian's Renaults email.jpg
    Ian's Renaults email.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 82
Well, Field Marshall, some of the Yorkshire contingent are going to arrive on Friday night so we can pick the prime spot for camping. As you can see, Uncle Claude and Blanche are already practising. :cool:

• 2007_0616FranceJune20.jpg
    2007_0616FranceJune20.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 84
Field Marshall Professor Sir Dr Captain Ian Stanbury (and the missus) are very much invited to the BBQ and bonfire on the evening of 1st September (the night before).

It's been a funny year and I've not gotten around to organising the Slow Car Club thing at Santa Pod on 2nd September at all. That'll probably mean a poor turnout but will also create an opportunity for us R4 folk to actually race against eachother for once.

I'll be there for the race and hope someone will join me. And everyone on the forum is invited for a BBQ and maybe the odd beer and the normal legendary bonfire the night before. Camping on our lawn is free.

Do private message me to book your spot.

..Thanks Malcolm..

.. I am very definitely going to be racing with you Malcolm and lets hope a whole lot more come along as well....

..Can you please reserve a spot for my tent near your swimming pool and as Lady S would rather stand on her head in a bucket of Vin Rouge rather than accompany me on a fun R4 weekend, I shall be arriving on my tod, news that should bring the Spinsters of your Parish out in great numbers!!

See you soon and thanks again

• IMG_9312.JPG
    IMG_9312.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 85
OK, Ian has the plush spot worryingly close to the bonfire. And Bluebell has booked a pitch about as far away from the bonfire as it's possible to get (she's been here before).

Those are the only "confirmed" entries. Who else fancies a R4 party and a little drag racing?

Exciting news - the 2CV crowd are muttering about coming along again. They were great fun last year - and the extra numbers should make for a fun event.

Any more R4 fans up for the challenge? (it's quite easy to go faster than a 2CV in a GTL but we haven't tried an 850 yet).

..No need for a tent now...

..Have decided to go to Malcolm's pre Slow Car Club evening knees up next Saturday in my new people carrier - What a beauty!!

It would be fantastic to see as many of the forum team as possible on Saturday and although you northerners may say its a 'little too far to go', its a lots closer that Kent for the R4 run. You midlanders have no excuse. You can also try out your long lost camping skills and have the pleasure of not having to drive home - a sort of 'get away' weekend

Please cancel your trip to Tesco or Asda on Saturday evening and come along - you dont have to race but its a chance to meet mighty Malcolm, Busty Bluebell and the the madman of SE21, as well of a host of other stars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uncle Claude is spending the Bank Holiday polishing Ermintrude :yellowre: ready for Santa Pod next weekend. He hopes to see you all at the BBQ on Saturday.

• 2007_0827claudecleaning.jpg
    2007_0827claudecleaning.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 62
..The rush is on..

..You wont believe it, but just look at the traffic jam associated with everyone wanting to get out of London early and up to malcolms' BBQ on Saturday to get the best camping spot!!

As nobody will know, the 'other' GREEN R4 is Angela and Andrews in Fulham. If you see this thread A and A, will you be coming this weekend?

You are so lucky up there in Sunny Leed, not only do not know what a traffic jam is, I dont expect you can spell it!!

Now have some of you lucky chaps got your R4 poster in the post yet?

Right time to polish my bonnet...

• A and A (1).JPG
    A and A (1).JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 103
  • A and A.JPG
    A and A.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 108
Funny that of the two B reg GTLs, one has reverse lights and the other one doesn't. Is it legal not to have any reversing lights? Also, the 4 without the reversing lights doesn't sport an aerial.

Thanks very much for the CD and poster Ian - looking forward to listening to that.

Last edited:
..You are welcome Jonathan..

...and you are not quite correct about my car not having an aerial. It does have one, but not quite as big as this rather ostentatious one!!

I bet this one can pick up BBC Radio 1 in Belgrade - What do you think Sava?

Last edited by a moderator:
....just look at the traffic jam associated with everyone wanting to get out of London early and up to malcolm's BBQ on Saturday to get the best camping spot!!

You are so lucky up there in Sunny Leeds, not only do not know what a traffic jam is, I don't expect you can spell it!!

...... time to polish my bonnet...

Traffic what?? I expect down in London you have 40 different words for that. But up here we have forty different words for sunshine. :wink:

By the way Ian, Uncle Claude and I are after the prize for the best turned out R4.

• tigergrease.jpg
    tigergrease.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 101
How come your B reg GTL sports headrests Ian? Are they original? Or are they from another car? Very jealous!

Message from 2CVers...

Hi,
It's Ryo from 2CV Club forum.
Some of us 2CVers, including your truly here, had every intention of making appearances, but it looks none of us could come... :(

We had our "National Meeting" last weekend, and a lot of us are on domestic duties bound...
Hope you have a nice day! :smile:

Thanks for posting Ryo. I've been too busy to organise this year, but next year we must get organised and do the 2CV vs R4 thing again. I've found out that standard Beetles and Minis work on our timescales too so and it would be great if we could get them along. I've got a Mini contact, but short of a Beetle contact. If we get properly organised next year we can invite the telly along - couple of telly programmes want to cover the event if we get it happening properly.

Exciting news from today - Field Marshall Stanbury was challenged to a dual by a jet car, and we broke the record for a standard Renault 4 - it's 21.2 seconds now.

• jet.jpg
    jet.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 98
  • tyre-smoke.jpg
    tyre-smoke.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 97
unable to drag myself away from work

hope you all had fun ,was originally hoping to attend
pity i have to still earn a living and not fix all my broken toys :(
did the barbecue go well ?
or did you use the jet car as a charcoal - lighter
never mind hope to meet some of you soon (maybe next year)
paul

Let's try and make the Slow Car Club do even bigger next year. Here is a troupe of R4s ready for the off. Major General Stanbury is looking particularly calm, while Claude gets some last minute instructions. :wink:

• 2007santapod1.jpg
    2007santapod1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 2007santapod.jpg
    2007santapod.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 78
..Vicky and Magda..

..well, when I finally made it to my office today I mentioned to my lovely chums V and M about coming second in the most important race at Santa Pod on Sunday and naturally they wanted to be seen with and cuddle up to one of the champs, but they chose the car instead of me!!

They are lovely, my best chums at the office and and can be seen here wearing bull fighting scarves from Bayonne - scarves won by me at my last bull fighting event for being too frightened to stand in the ring and sing ' once upon a time there was a little white bull, very sad because he was a little white bull, only black bull go to the bull fight, only black bulls fight etc

Both are stars in the real sense of the word - Vicky is William Hagues' cousin and Magda is Antonio's best friend, I am their agent and this is really a picture of the 1984 Geneva motor show!!

• CIMG0148.jpg
    CIMG0148.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 68
Back