Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

'65 r4

reo24

Enthusiast
Hi all,
65R4

Just aquired this old 1965 R4. The previous owner (no longer with us) was in the process of updating it & had replaced the bonnet, grille & front wing. New chrome bumpers have been fitted as well. There is still a little more work to do - a new dash would work wonders, as will a set of more modern seats. The rear quarter windows will be easy with a plasma cutter & although the engine & gearbox are quiet & smooth, the engine is a little under powered & syncro in first is a bit iffy. The 6 volt system works but will not run today's MP3 player, so that will have to go. A little bit of welding on the front floor will finish the job & it will look a lot more up to date! There is a old bonnet & a pair of strange looking bumpers (one has a strange hole right in the middle!) at the old owner's place which the scrappy will collect soon. If we can get him to wait he can take the other stuff too. Or I might just put the whole thing on eBay...

• DSCF8413.jpg
    DSCF8413.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
The hole in the front bumper was to start the car when the self-starter does not work, using the "manivelle" directly on the gearbox (instead that on the crick, as we usually do).
Obviously it works only with another hole on the crossmember and the right gearbox...
Just a curiosity.

Oh well done looks relatively good with straight panels by the look of it, so will not take to long before it's on the road.
Do you not like the rear quarters as they are ? ( personally i would leave them ).

You are joking right....why mess around with it all..:eek:
you want modern....buy a bloody GTL...
it is after all a 1965

good find by the way

It would be worth checking just what model yours is before modifying the bodywork.

The R4s with no rear quarter lights were (a) early and (b) relatively uncommon. By modifying the car you might compromise its collectors' value.

The bumper and bonnet, if they are the ones originally fitted to the car, would also be worth keeping. The bonnet should have a smaller aperture at the front and the bumper should be narrow and less rounded than the one fitted.

It might also be worth seeing if the original owner has any other early parts which came off this car. Early R4s are not so uncommon in France as in the UK, but these spares are not being made any more . . . .

Hi Reo24, I hadn't realised it was April 1st. Nice wind-up, and great car, it looks very straight.

Could'nt resist! Seriously, we have found another correct bonnet & the bumpers, but the rear left wing & front right wing are in need of replacement. I think they are the same as later ones? The floor needs a little welding but apart from that it is very nice. A good clean & tidy & its ready to rock n' roll. But what is it worth?

Hard to say what it's worth, perhaps other forum members might be able to tell you, but it is quite rare, even in France I think, so restore it right, as we know you will, enjoy it and if you decide to sell in the future, well, I'm sure you wont be disappointed. I'm pretty sure the main body panels didn't change their design over the years, so the parts you need shouldn't be too hard to find.

Hi Reo....got me there.....
didnt think you were that silly

great find...

Back