Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

'83 4TL - Runabout

In the light of day!!

It was late last night - so this morning I swapped out the indicator lights to the right way around - looks a little better :D

All the switches and covers are back in place and all the electrics are now working. Phew!!

Untitled by Tripyrenees, on Flickr

Got the driveshafts back

One needed replacement and I got a brand new one instead of the fixed unit which was good at €44 plus I got my boots put on the other and greased up :)

Installed and put everything else back so the fronts are now finished.

But the wheels will have to wait (new tires too) until I sort out my brake bleed issues :(

Chassis condition looks amazing, is the rest of it as it looks on these pictures?!

Chassis seems to be good throughout. Tiny bits of rusts and a couple of holes in the floorpan but nothing major.

Will soon see now I can book it in for its Côntrole Technique. :o

Finally

It has been a tough few days but I am there.

Put on the drive shafts, new steering arms and fitted all the brakes.

Then the issue with the rear valve limiter which was blocked - but after 5 hours of working in the tiniest of places and plenty of 1/4 turns with my spanner I finally got it off, repaired it and put it back on.

Brakes work like a dream as does the handbrake which was non existant when I bought it.

Put on the newly painted wheels with new tires. Checked everything twice over and off we went for the first drive in this car and the first time it has been on the road in 10 years.

The only snag I found (due to the first time being driven ) was there was no speedo reading so something is wrong with the cable.

I need a new spare (rattling at the back as the old one I scrapped) and an oil change in the morning with new filter (just put in some engine clean to get rid of the gunk).

But it drives perfectly - will get the tracking done tomorrow to straighten the steering wheel but it does not pull at all and brakes in a straight line (and skidding).

Very Happy - :D:D:D

You have a right to be happy, and the car looks great. Good luck with the CT.

Been following with interest and all i can say is well done it looks good and you must be very pleased with it ?

Looks brilliant, well done for getting everything sorted so quickly.

The colour doesn't look far off mine too.

Here's mine half polished!

picture.php

It passed its Côntrole Technique

Took it for its CT (MOT) today so we can go to the Exposition Véhicules d'Epoque tomorrow in Tarbes.
It passed first time. Picked up on a little bit of rust but nothing bad - and also my right handbrake not working which is puzzling as this is all new but I will check to see if the cable has not worked its way loose while I was adjusting etc.
But well pleased with all the work paying off. Will register it in my name on Monday now I have all the paperwork :D:D.

I will total up all the parts and expenditure and see where I ended up for this little run around. :)

Bourse d'Echange

Went off to Tarbes today to a fantastic Bourse d'Echange.

Loads of parts and plenty of cars for sale. I managed to pick up a copy of the MR 175 manual with all additions up to 1984. I could have done with this last week when I was swearing at the very limited Haynes manual.

€20 was a bargain.

The Final Bill

Basically my car is finished to the point of the original requirement which was a little round around.

I love that wheeler dealers program (yes I am sad and winters are long) so have totted up the over all costs, these include everything I have spent to get the car on the road and reliable;

Oil Filter 9.95
Alternator 93.95
Water Pump 38.40
Water pipe 14.53
Tires & Balance 178.80
Drive shaft 44.95
Brake Parts
Horn
Rubber Boots 205.84
Steering arms
Lamps
Handbrake Cables 150.25
Engine Cleaner 14.75
Gasket kit 52.21 (useful in the future)
Geometry (tracking) 64.90

Car 600.00 (including delivery)
CT 55.00
Registration 45.00

TOTAL SPEND €1568.53

So it was about €300 more than I wanted to spend but the parts I have replaced now make this car a pretty good runner and safe. Even though the tires would have passed a CT they had been standing for 10 years so it was better to change them.

All in all I am happy with it and will treat it to a new set of carpets to make it a little more comfortable inside.

I found the original documentation in the dashboard too - I always like surprises :D

Your R4 looks great. You must be so chuffed it got through the CT OK, after all that hard work. Look forward to more stories on progress.

This wonderful Renault documents folder is something I see for the first time! Warranty document for an R4 is equally hard to come by, too!

Cheers - but if you read the Brakes Seized thread I am having a few issues. I have left it alone for a few day (after replacing the brake fluid) to calm down a bit.

I have emailed Melun though mentioning the fact about the LHM fluid. Not blaming anyone but just to see if they react kindly or tell me its all my own fault.

So now busy putting the gearbox and engine back in my '57 AZU (so much easier ;) )

Tried out the brakes

I have left him alone for a while but thought I would go for a quick test drive after I purged the LHM fluid from the brake system and replaced with Dot 4.
Went for a good drive with some decent climbs and decents and the brakes responded well. Pedal didn't stiffen up and no heat on the hubs. I need to re adjust everything and put on some new shoes but I think it may be Ok.

I know I should change everything out but I am confident that as it was all brand new it did not damage the rubbers too badly.

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 121
Finally registered him in our name today. We tried a few weeks ago but the nice lady at the prefecture told us to come back when the car was 30 years old. Luckily that was only two weeks away.
Gotthe plates and put them on.... Brakes are still good tooc:D:D

I'm very glad that you persevered!! Are you going to replace the shoes? They looked a bit shot after the incident.

Yes, I will be doing that as the response is not great. I just wanted to make sure they operate correctly.
I will get these on order while I work on the AZU

Back