Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

A dumb question I am sure...

bobjacqs

Enthusiast
I'm embarrassed to ask as I'm sure this is obvious but as you know I'm no mechanic...

I'm working in my garage cos it's always raining outside and need to disconnect driveshafts and upper ball joints to remove the engine. If I do this inside, will I be able to then push the car outside? (I cannot remove the engine in the garage). I know I should know just by looking at it, but don't :-(

Depends if you want to move it around much ? you can put the hubs back together and steering rack on and then you can move it around at will, or if (like i do) have a small trolley (which i made) and put under the front chassis so you can push it in and out.

To remove engine you need to remove steering rack and driveshafts but hubs and wheels can stay on car. It will be little bit hard to move it as left and right front wheel will need to be steered with hand separately but it can be done.
I have done it that way.

Those drive shafts... As I understand it I am not removing them, just disconnecting them? 'And if I do pull them out too far, I am in a lot of trouble?? (I don't even understand what i've just typed because they must be completely pulled out, no?). I'm now even questioning why i'm taking the engine out at all as it doesn't need rebuilding and I can already see the chassis to repair it. (if indeed the left rear outside suspension mount can be repaired properly).

You will need acess on all sides of chassis for proper assessment much easier with engine out as it can be tipped on its side singlehandedly
Wire brushing grinding and welding all much easier than crawling underneath
After all you have gone this far now ☺

• 20150325_093645.jpg
    20150325_093645.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 1
Yes i agree, did this a short while ago with my F6 and it was so much easier, go for it :clapping:

Back