Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Accelerator cable mount spring

iMacThere4iAm

Tom Long
Hi chaps, I can't seem to get my accelerator cable reattached correctly after removing the rocker cover of my GTL. Here's a photo to remind you of what I'm talking about (lower left corner).

The trouble is, the spring there should be quite compressed but if I do that, then the throttle won't close. What am I doing wrong?

• _MG_9045,-_MG_9046,-_MG_9047.jpg
    _MG_9045,-_MG_9046,-_MG_9047.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 117
Hi Tom, did you undo the cable clamp bolt on the quadrant? in so doing you may have left the cable a bit slack. Is the cable correctly seated on the groove in the quadrant? Also something doesn't look right on top of the rocker-cover. The plastic sleeve that the cable passes through should be inside the plastic bush fitted to the metal bracket on the rocker-cover. If the cable is slack the spring there would force the two apart. Brian.
One other question, what is the coil of electric cable for up by the bulkhead?

On top of the rocker cover the plastic sleeve inside the spring should be retained by a circlip. That's fallen out.

On top of the rocker cover the plastic sleeve inside the spring should be retained by a circlip. That's fallen out.

Thanks Malcolm, I thought I heard something go "ping" into the distance. Will see if I can find or replace it tomorrow.

Azazello and Cornish4, my wiring is awful and I am drawing up plans to strip it all and replace it from scratch. That particular coil is for the spotlights on the roof, which are not connected at the moment so the wire is coiled up there.

It looks like the plastic sleeve has snapped at the circlip groove but the good news is that I just remembered I bought a new accelerator cable kit from Oscaro while I was in france. I had no need at the time, it must have been a stroke of premonition :)

Back