Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

accelerator cable

mojobaby

Enthusiast
went to two different dealers in Villeneuve sur Lot (Lot et Garonne-France) to try and get an accelerator cable for my Renault 4L, Apparently they're not available in France, which I find quite strange and hard to believe.
However, I bought a cable for a Renault 5 and that can easily be adapted. It works just fine.

When I was in France I ordered an accelerator cable from oscaro.com. They have a good range of 4L parts; I just wish they would deliver to the UK!

There are several different versions of accelerator cable and I found it difficult to identify which was the one I needed.

carburator cable

I did purchase a builders kit (loose parts)from Franzoze but haven't yet assembled it-lets see how it fits in

its really awkward removing the old one and fitting the new one to the end of the pedal; you just can't get your hands down there. I tried disconnecting the pedal (2 nuts) and tried to pull the whole pedal through into the car space, but it wouldn't fit through the hole. Fitting the R5 cable was easier cos it had a plastic fitting on the end that just clicked into one of the holes on the end of the pedal lever. Good luck

Take the parcel shelf out, it makes access to the pedal assembly much easier.

If you have the Zenith 28IF or Solex 26 DIS carburettor, you don't need a specific R4 throttle cable, if your old one has snapped. Any good quality bike derailleur cable, cut to the correct length will do just fine, and it just costs half a euro!

the standard R4 cable has a little knob on the end so that it can't slip out of the clip on the end of the pedal. how did you attach yours? The end of my pedal goes through into the engine compartment and thats where the cable gets attached. A bit difficult to reach

Back